Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep On Getting Spam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:48 PM

Hello to all! :thumbsup:
Every 2-3 days i keep on getting spam on my yahoo mail probably 1-2 each which is unusuall for the average,Is this regular? or something out of the ordinary? should i rather bear with these spams? or am i being traced and tracked down? the next thing i knew when i opened my email,several trojans were automatically detected by my AV........anyway to prevent this?
pls.tell me any stuff about this
t.y. in advance

Edited by Commander Gman, 04 March 2007 - 12:10 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:19 AM

Hi Commander Gman

When you receive spam, it doesn't mean that your computer is infected.

Read this why you are getting spam:
http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

Read this how to prevent spam:
http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/internet/page4782.cfm
=====

If you think you’re infected:

You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Please download, install and update Avg Anti-Spyware 7.5.<--link DO NOT perform a scan yet..

Print out the Avg Install and Scan Instructions<--link

Please download ATF Cleaner<--link by Atribune.DO NOT use yet..

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE"<--link using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup [but before the Windows icon appears] press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.]

now Scan with Avg per the "Safe Mode" instructions you printed out.
IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while Avg is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess.

reboot back to normal mode .

Stelios :thumbsup:

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:02 AM

Every 2-3 days i keep on getting spam on my yahoo mail probably 1-2 each which is unusuall for the average,Is this regular? or something out of the ordinary?

When it comes to Spam, there is not a regular/average number associated with how many you can get. Some days you may get a few of them, other days you may get a lot of them.

should i rather bear with these spams?

No. Not at all. If you are checking your email with Yahoo web mail, you can sign up for a SpamCop account & foward the emails to them. You can find details here: SpamCop FAQ. There is also this extension - Habu that you can use if you are using Thunderbird.

or am i being traced and tracked down? the next thing i knew when i opened my email,several trojans were automatically detected by my AV........anyway to prevent this?

Your best bet here is not to open any emails that come from someone that you don't recognize. What happens is that emails that contain HTML graphics, have code embedded in them that alerts the spammer that the email address is "live" & the you get inundated with more spam. Plus as you saw, there is the potential of getting infected which has it's own set of consequences. Make sur you keep your ant-virus updated.

Some addtional reading here:

Best Practices

Email Spam

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

Even if you are very careful about giving out your E-mail address, you will get spam. Obviously, you should never reply to these, or open them. Yahoo is fairly good at blocking spam, and you can designate those that get through its filtres as spam.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Use McAfee SpamKiller. IMHO the best spam removing aplication!

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

Ok thanks for the info its more than enough,ill try all of your suggestions afterwards but if theres more you might wanna add then or any more good ideas pls.post T.Y. ! :thumbsup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users