Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decent Backup Program?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

Hey, just re-installed XP recently due to a rootkit attack causing irreparable damage to my BIOS. Would like to avoid the hassle of installing and updating everything all over again should I have to do it again. As a result, I'm checking out various backup programs and wanted opinions on the best ones out there. Obviously if it's free I'd probably like it, but I don't mind paying for a good program if it doesn't break the bank. Norton Ghost and Genie are two I looked at. Any other suggestions?

I installed the backup utility on the XP disk, but it seems limited and I want a few more options, like backing up to my 2nd hard drive or to a DVD.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 March 2007 - 11:47 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:54 AM

Save and Restore by Symantec is a good imaging program but a bit of a resource hog.

I just installed Acronis True Image.Is well recommended by members here @ BC and won't break the bank.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

Cobian Backup is a freeware program.
YourHighness wrote a nice tutorial on using it, located here.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:50 AM

ERUNT is very good and easy to use. It also has a registry optimizer included.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1267.html

#5 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

For me it has to be Acronis True Image Workstation. Tried all those above and got to love this one:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/produ...CFQOHlAodOTxVxg
Imaging, reliable backup, cloning to new HD's etc.

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback, looks like Acronis is a promising program.

On a side note, sorry I keep posting my threads in the wrong topics, looks like I'm still learning how to navigate around here.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#7 AndyMack

AndyMack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

Acronis is one of the greatest apps I have used. WHat I did was install xp, install all my usual apps updates etc, check or any spyware, viruses etc just to be sure then created an image of my hd. Now rather than install xp again I restore the image again.

#8 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

Should add, the image also takes the activation along with it, so you do not have to bother with that again.

#9 Kevin_D

Kevin_D

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

Yeah..True Image is very reliable and fastworking programm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users