Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Starting Up Win98

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stratis

stratis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

I got this compaq pentium 3 computer.I want to make a clean installation of windows 98se but at the start up
when I choose Start Computer without CD-ROM,does not start properly it displays A:\> and I cannot see if it was partitioned so to start deleting the partitions.Any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

Did you put a Win98*Grinler boot floppy in the floppy drive? You should boot with one then use the FDISK option to see what partitions are on the drive.

Using FDISK

After booting with the Win98*Grinler boot disk and typing fdisk at the prompt then pressing the <Enter> key you will be presented with the following options.

1. Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive
2. Set active partition
3. Delete partition or Logical DOS Drive
4. Display partition information
5. Change current fixed disk drive

Select 4 to view your partiton information
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

when I choose Start Computer without CD-ROM,does not start properly it displays A:\> and I cannot see if it was partitioned so to start deleting the partitions.Any help

Where are you choosing to start computer without CD Rom?

You will need CD Rom drivers if you want to install Win98se.

Try BootDisk

You don't actually need to use Fdisk if you are happy with the original partitions. You just need Format.com on the bootable floppy. How big is your HD? :thumbsup:

Edited by Keithuk, 03 March 2007 - 05:01 PM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users