Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Navigation In Websites

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KIDRoach

KIDRoach

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

okay, now, trying to make my personal website as my assignment.

so, i went on and look around the net for samples, and saw that the majority of the sites have navigation bars, be it on top, or sides. so, i tried opening the source codes, but couldn't understand a thing...

let's take this site for an example, http://www.littlewebpages.net/emporium/index.php
is it really just using simple tables ? how do i make the color of the box changes when the mouse hover on top of it?

another thing is that, since it's the navigation bar, i'm gonna have it in all my sites, do i just copy and paste the codes, or is there any other way than that ?

btw, i'll be frank, i'm a true beginner in making websites, and what is the tag <class> used for?
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

The <class> tag is used for css elements, and is bit advanced, at least until you can understand the basics behind html. There are many tutorial sites that can show how to do it. For simplicity sake, you may just want to stick with a menu bar at the top as it is much easier to do.

The effect you are talking about (hover0 can be achieved in several different ways, either through css or javascript. Again, they are going to needlessly confuse you. Stick with the basics for now, otherwise you are going to get extremely frustrated. Since it is your first 'homepage', keep it simple. Once you have a solid HTML foundation, you can always add css and javascript to your page to enhance it.

I'm reasonably sure you are going to do exactly the opposite of what I am suggesting, so don't say I didn't warn you. :thumbsup:

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

To add to what groovicus said..

In the hover of an image that changes to whatever requires 2 images. It's not hard to do. All you need is the on and off image.

Because this can be so in depth, it would be a good idea to search for html tutorials.

As far as navigations are concerned, you could just copy/paste the code and make it work, but you need to know the structure of the links involved. you will need to have the same directories, in the same structure as the original site in order for it to work like that. If not, then you will have to change the links from within the navigational links.

But again.... reading what groovicus said is the best advise to follow. HTML can be complicated, but if you understand it, then the rest will follow.

Get to do a basic page first, then add another page,,, then another... and so on,, and you'll have a better understanding of what you need and want to do. Until then,,,,.. don't get involved with hover buttons, css and other advanced html tecniques until you understand what you're doing with the HTML.

#4 KIDRoach

KIDRoach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

so, basically i should just use the basic menu bar, :flowers:

then, how should i make the basic menu bar ? should i just use tables ?

and how do i move on after learning html ? what else should i learn? php? css? java scripts? :trumpet:

thanks, any help is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
If Quizzes were Quizzicles, what are Tests ?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

Tables is one way to make a menu bar, but so is simply having a row of links. I guess the real answer is, do it how ever you want.Once you are able to create your simple page, then thera re many other html things youcan do, whether it be frames (which is one way of doing the side menu) or forms, or any other number of things.

CSS is a natural step from html because CSS extends HTML. In short, HTML tells the browser what to display and where. It can also tell how to display something in crude terms, but nothing like CSS can. CSS is one way to really make your web pages shine.

Javascript is a way of making your web pages do something; ie slideshow, make a calendar, calculator, Ajax, etc.

Almost nobody does straight HTML web pages because they are pretty bland. Most pages are a mix and match of all three technologies (plus others).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users