Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

hi
when i turned on my computer a message came up that said something like
checking file type on C:
type of file system is NTFS
the volume is dirty
then i had to wait while it did three scans. does anyone know why it said that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

That's a "disk check" (also referred to as 'scandisk') which Windows performs on the next re-start whenever it's not been shut down properly. Improper shutdown could either have been done by the user or by a process or application which didn't behave properly.

Don't worry about it unless it happens frequently. It's just Windows making sure you don't have errors before you start using it (Windows says the "volume is dirty" to mean it the drive has errors which it must put right. It can't do this when Windows is running)

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2007 - 12:41 PM.

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

ok thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users