Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hi, It seems that all of my MP3s have become corrupted and I dont understand why. I play MP3s from the collection stored on my system most days and went to do so yesterday but they no longer work.

I have tried a few different players and get the message 'unable to render this file' or 'unable to recognise the format of this file' Everything worked fine 3 days ago.

I have also found that if I download an MP3 to my 'net music' folder they play fine. When I then move it to 'my music' that mp3 will play but the others in that folder will not. However the next day when I try to play the new MP3 in 'my music' it no longer works, just like the rest.

I have reinstalled Creative Soundblaster Audigy MB which is my primary and prefered player/library to no effect. I have no new software installed and I have uninstalled 'Samsung PC Studio' which did interfere with the playback of mpegs with all players on my system in the past but has never caused a problem with MP3s. This has also made no difference.

I have scanned my system with: Spysweeper/spyware doctor/superantispyware/adaware/spybot/ AVG antispyware/ xoftspy and all have come up clean other than a few tracking cookies.

luckily I have saved about 510 of the 530 odd MP3s onto a DVD about a week ago and so haven't lost the lot.

I'm desperate to sort this problem but dont have any idea what to try next.

I would be very gratefull for any advise anyone could give me as to how to remedy this or at least suggest what the problem is.

Many thanks in advance

Leeboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

'unable to recognise the format of this file'

Is the file extension, .mp3?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

Yes, the vast majority are MP3 but there are some WMA. Neither format will play. I have tried copying tracks to another folder but they will not play there either.

I have logged onto my partners profile and the MP3s in her 'my music' work fine with the same software.

Leeboy

#4 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Anyone ? please, I'm desperate !!

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

Try the following :

Play one of your corrupted MP3's and if they give this same message go to START RUN and type eventvwr. Look for white crosses in red dots in any of the 3 chapters you see there.

Secondly you could do, In normal mode, run an online antivirus check from at least two and preferably three of the following sites
BitDefender
Computer Associates Online Virus Scan
Panda's ActiveScan
Trend Micro Housecall
Windows Live Safety Center Free Online Scan
This scanner from Trend does not require an Active X to run.

1. Detects and removes malware ( viruses, worms, trojans, etc. )
2. Detects and removes grayware and spyware
3. Restores damage caused by malware to your system.
4. Notifies about vulnerabilities in installed programs and connected network services.
5. Multi-platform support for: Windows, Linux, Solaris.
6. Easy-to-use with the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

#6 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Many thanks. I have tried the windows live scan, now I'll try all the others.

What do the white crosses in red dots signify if they are there ?

Regards

Leeboy

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

To add to the suggestions, it would be a good idea to download the FREE program below. It will scan your files and let you know if any of them are actually corrupt or not. It's also used to warn you if you have any bogus .mp3 files.

If you download music files, I highly recommend you use this program, and always scan your music files before playing them, because some of them have adware, popups embedded in them.

MP3 Shield
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Au...P3-Shield.shtml
MP3 Shield is a plug-and-play application developed to help you protect your music collection. It can rapidly scan vast MP3 collection for corruptions and automatically detects corrupted MP3 files while being downloaded.

#8 leeboy

leeboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hi, I have installed and run the MP3 shield, thanks. that has come up clean.

the event viewr shows lots of problems an applications, system and intelDH which is just a page of errors

'error intelqrtd event 7' no catagory.

errors in applications are application hang cat 101 event 1001 or 1002

application error catagory 100 event 1000

system errors - service control m 7000 , 7009 , 7026 , 7023
error dcom 100....

error srv 2000

error iaSTOR no cat event 9
various W32Time errors

Not sure what to make of any of it ! is this very bad ?

Leeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users