Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Stumped!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

Okay, now--I am OFFICIALLY stumped....

Both my kids got Disney Mix Sticks for Christmas, and my computer (Dell Dimension 4550, XP) will not recognize them once they are plugged into a USB port (front or back), which means WMP (v. 10) will not recognize them either. (Hence, no MP3 player for either kid.)

By "recognize" them, I mean on the MY COMPUTER screen. If I click on the tray icon to safely remove the hardware, it recognizes them! Go figure!

I spent two full days trying everything and found out from several forums that this is a common problem w/the mix sticks....HOWEVER....now, get this....

This morning (day 3), I went into my son's room and tried them on his computer--PENTIUM II, IBM (old comptuer running XP), and guess what?

THEY WORKED! Now, what in the world do you think is my computer's problem? Why will they work on his computer and not my Dell?

This has got to be an XP/PC problem, as the sticks are working on the older computer.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! Debbie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

Check if the IBM PC (the 'okay' one) is running with SP1 installed. If it is, and your newer Dell PC is just running the original XP with no service packs, that could be the answer.

Rather paradoxically, the reverse could also cause it. If your son's PC is running XP with no service packs or nothing higher than SP1, and your Dell is running with SP2 installed, your PC could be suffering from one of the many SP2 problems which Microsoft prefers to call "issues".

#3 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

My Dell is definitely running w/SP2, and my son's--I'm not sure if I ever added either SP1 or SP2.

I originally wondered if that could be the problem......

Very frustrating that I put the mix stick into one of his TWO USB ports, and the new hardware wizard starts right up, but when I put it into one of my FOUR USB ports, the computer won't recognize the stick at all.

One forum said they called the 800 tech support number, and the rep told them to "format" the drive--right click on it and choose format. (Apparently, several players left the factory w/o being formated!) It was suggested I try that.

However, since I can't right click on anything, it is impossible for me to reformat the player!

If I can get anything, it is a quick blip of drive "F" on MY COMPUTER, which quickly disappears! I have also gotten the message, USB device is malfunctioning a few times. Of course, the player is not malfunctioning because it works alone with mix clips and on my son's PC too.

Other than an SP2 problem (which I am assuming cannot be fixed), are there any other options?

Thanks, Debbie

#4 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

Guess what? His computer is running SP2, but he doesn't have nearly the amount of hot fixes and security updates that I do.

Any other ideas what might be preventing my Dell from acknowledging the mix stick?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

Are the USB ports you're using on the tower, or are you using the USB ports on a hub?
A lot of times, using a USB hub will not allow the computer to "see" the player.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

All on the tower--2 on the front (tried both) and 2 on the back (tried one).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users