Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Some Folders Crash Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pooka

Pooka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

I have several folders that when I try to open them-- They will open and then a "Send Error Report" window pops up stating that "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". The folder will then be forced to close (along with any other folders that I might also have open at the time) and the screen goes blank for a second and then my desktop reappears with all the programs restarting in lower right corner.

One folder will even do the same thing if I just hold my cursor over the folder for a second. It will generate "error" window and semi-crash my windows.

It is not on most of my folders, just 3 or 4. I cannot delete the folders because it will do the same thing as opening it. I cannot move it because same things happens.

I have tried all the fix programs that I have and they crash as soon as the affected folder is scanned.

I have even tried doing scanning by Symantec and Panda and Trend Micro online and they just mysteriously close as soon as they get to the affected folders. BitDefender, Spybot, Ad-Aware and McAfee Stinger also crash or freeze up. So does Norton SystemWorks in its Virus Scan and its WinDocter...

I have tried to delete or move in "Safe Mode"-- same results.

Does anyone have some idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? (Hopefully without having to reformat)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:48 AM

Post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the directions in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If you have a problem getting HijackThis to run, try renaming it to something else like "myscan". If needed you can also change the .EXE to .BAT, .COM, .PIF, or .SCR. All all are valid for renaming it.

Since it is obvious you cannot run security scans, skip down to the installation instructions for Hijack This in the link above.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users