Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Move/copy A File Folder To A Usb Harddisk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ck828

ck828

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:13 AM

Hello,
Somehow I can't Move or even Copy a data file folder to a USB harddisk in Windows explorer (even after clearing the Read only attribute). It is Windows XP home edition. Some one please explain. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:44 AM

Have you tried it in Safe Mode

#3 ck828

ck828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hello fozzie,

Thank you for your offer to help. I did try out your suggestion to delete/copy the folder in the safe mode to an external USB hard disk but I still couldn't. The message is "Error moving file or folder, Cannot move/copy file"

It is a data folder and I did even try to clear out the read only attribute on the folder prior doing it in the safe mode.

I don't know what is locking it, it is the only folder I have trouble with in the otherwise running OK XP machine. Moving the folder inside the same partition is no problem though.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

Have you tried the unlocker utility http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ it is possible that the file is already in use and as a result can't be cut, but that doesn't explain why copying doesn't work.

Also on some flash drives, they have the ability to lock the drive, there should or could be a catch on the side of the USB drive.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 ck828

ck828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

Thank you nigglesnush85 for pointing out the unlocker utility. It seems to be a rather popular utility.

However, my error message is "Error moving file or folder, Cannot move/copy file" and that it. It never mentions:
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I am not really desperate yet. It is just a single data folder which I want to move to make room for some thing else. I guess that the unlocker utility will help me to find out what is going on with the folder.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Edited by ck828, 06 March 2007 - 12:06 AM.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:17 AM

What about the following "escape goat " :

Go to the area where this particular file is.
Rightclick New and than Folder Name it so you can find it
Select the folder you want to copy by rightclick and than copy
Go in the newly created folder and than do CTRL V
Than try to copy it to an USB hd.

Out of curiousity : Which folder are trying to copy?

#7 ck828

ck828
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

Thank fozzie for "escape goat" method. I did go in to the folder and was lucky to be able to locate the troubled file/folder. It was the rar-extracted folder with very long file name and too many layers that cause problem.

Every thing is OK now and I would like to thank again for the help from you and nigglesnush85. :thumbsup:

#8 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:33 AM

I think I can safely say `Our pleasure `and thanks for the feedback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users