Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grainy Graphics After Windows 98 Reinstalation

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 oz_herb

oz_herb

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:13 AM

hi ppl...a few days a go i reistalled windows 98 on this hard drive.since i have had graphic problems....should i have more than 16 bit? if so well thats i have...so do i now need to install the right drivers now?im guessing so after researching this problem for days.
here is the report from everest to hopfully help you to help me.thanks inadvance for your time.oz

Operating System System Model
Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222) Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
800 megahertz Intel Pentium III
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Acer Laboratories Inc. ALi 1631 1.0
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 07/15/97
Drives Memory Modules c,d
4.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
3.73 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG CD-ROM CRD-8521B
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (4.30 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver 112 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' is Empty
Slot '1' has 128 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 4.30 GB 3.73 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
No details available None detected
Controllers Display
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) [Display adapter]
LEO 15.2 [Monitor] (15.2"vis, December 1999)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller None detected
Communications Other Devices
Standard Modem
V92 Analog PnP Modem
Network Card MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
USB Root Hub
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
No details available

Edited by jgweed, 04 March 2007 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:26 AM

16-bit colour is fine unless you are doing photo editing and you are really picky about the colours being as accurate as possible for printing comparison.

Whether or not you should be getting a higher colour-depth is not just dependant on the driver, it also depends how much video memory your graphics card has, and how high you want the resolution to be.

The next step up from 16-bit colour is 32-bit colour (also called tru-colour in Windows) but you will never get that if your video card has less than 32MB of video memory without having an unsuitably low resolution setting which makes everything too big on the display.

However, it seems from your info that the graphics card is using the standard Microsoft VGA driver which, on Windows 98, gives you only 16 colours if I recall. That's 16 colours, not 16-bit which gives you many thousands of colours. So maybe you mean "16 colours" not 16-bit?

16-colours is definitely caused by having the wrong driver, since even a basic card (with the right driver) can output more colours than that.

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2007 - 05:32 AM.

#3 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

so i need a driver...? any chance of anyone knowing where and wich one is the one i need ? im not having much luck and its not from lack of trying ...im not being lazy but infact using you guys as a 2nd to last choice ....going to a pc shop/binning this horrible pc lol.thanks ppl.oz.

Edited by oz_herb, 03 March 2007 - 07:04 AM.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

What is the make of the graphics card on the system?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

i dont think there is a card as such....its apart of the motherboard as far as i know....they only details i have are the ones abouve in the everest log.oz.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

Go to device manager (You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, and choosing the Device Manager tab. It is also accessible by right-clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties, and selecting the Device Manager tab.) select dispaly adaptors, post back what you see.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

standard pci graphics adaptor (vga)
standard display types
hardware version : 032
this device is working properly

hope thats what you need .oz.

#8 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:52 AM

Sorry, oz for not getting back. had to have a sleep. Terrible sick-headache.
Anyway, yes it appears you need a proper driver for the on-board video controller. The "Standard VGA" is a generic one which Windows uses in the absence of the manufacturers driver, to ensure that you get something on the display. But it can't utilise the full capabilities of the controller. The proper driver would show the makers name in Device Manager.

Using the motherboard details from your info I will try to help you further, unless someone else beats me to it!

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2007 - 10:54 AM.

#9 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

horrible thing sleep....yea i needed some too ....thank you very much for your help...its coffee time for me..good luck with the driver searching...i'll see you when your on next.thank you .oz.

#10 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

:thumbsup:

#11 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

ok people i still need some help...i have the right drivers(we hope) i install them ....restart thr pc the it asks me to find the driver from a list or from a place on the pc and this is where my problems is....i cant seem to get that part right......any help?thanks .oz.

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:41 AM

Hello,

where did you download the drivers from? what make af graphics processor do you have?
Regards,

Alan.

#13 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

motherboard- acer laboratoriesinc
model - ali 1631
version - 1.0

chipset vendor- acer labs(ali/uli)
model-ali m1621 aladdin pro 2 apg system controller
south bridge- ali m1533

http://www.pcchipsusa.com/download-mainframe.asp

is where i got thr ALI 1647 Drivers for on-board video.

is this what i need i have i gone way of the track?....have i provided the right info? getting sleepy here so hope i answered you properly.oz.

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:03 AM

Thats what I was looking for, it looks like you downloaded incopatible drivers for the chipset. no worries though, here are 2 links to the drivers that should work.

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...p?driverid=4488
http://www.softlookup.com/driveauthor.asp?id=2515

Normally, the manufacture in this case acer or ali, should have the drivers on their webpage, but for some reason they didn't do them. the files should download as a .exe which will do the work for you.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#15 oz_herb

oz_herb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

thank you for getting back to me....well im dowloading the one from drver guide....it looked familiar and when i pressesed to dowload it says it already exests on tour desck top.....i replaced it anyway.
the one on softlookup....i cant understand how to download it? i see M1631, ver 1.40 with the plus sign net to it ..pressed on that ???? what am i missing?
i guess while i wait for your reply i'll try and install the file from driver guide again...but i recon i'll have the same problem at start up and not being able to add it....the pc just keps puting the standard microsoft file in ...probly cause i cant find this driver in the list it provides at start up ....it might be easyer if it was on a cd wich i cant make cause the file isnt/ i cant acsess it from where i put it ...the desk top....should i be downloading it else where ?...ok i'll be back soo to let you know what i find after i try this file out again.thanks.oz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users