Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xx66stangxx

xx66stangxx

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

Ok so I am starting to learn how to program now that I am a senior in high school, so that when it's time to do my minor, which is computer science, I will be prepared, but anyways enough rambleing, I am using a book to learn to program but my question is how long/Advanced will it take me to be able to make an actual program? Not just to input data and have something come out I want to be able to make applications, that actually do something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 the geekfreak

the geekfreak

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:54 AM

thats like asking "how long is a piece of string"
firstly it depends on how quickly you grasp it in the first place .
secondly i suppose it depends on how good your teachers are.
so i would say with enough hard work and practice you should be doing it soon enough

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

One easy way to actually create a programme is to use the components (routines, or modules) you have already learned to do something new or different. Depending on how fast you are progressing, you should be able to do this in a relatively short time. As you input programmes found in a book, and debug these, you will also gain an understanding of what each small programme does; combining these, and interfacing each within a larger design will soon enable you to make applications since all programming is architectural in nature.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 04 March 2007 - 11:58 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

Programming (oddly enough) has very little to do with computer science. In fact, many of the theories of computing are mathematics based. Programming is used in the context of teaching program flow, data structures, etc. Only two of my classes have had programming as the focus of the class. In most others, it was used merely to illustrate concepts. And a good portion of my classes had no programming at all. Check out Finite Automata, machine organization, discreet math, solvable problems, etc.

One gets a degree in Computer Science to learn the Science behind computing, not to become a programmer. That's what technical school is for. It would be a bit like me going to school to be a structural engineer so I could get a job as a carpenter. You get a degree in computer science to learn the fundamentals of computer development, be it hardware or software.

If you want to learn programming, the advice of the previous two members is enough to get you going.

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:00 AM

You will have to decided which programming language you want to learn there are plenty to choose from.
C, C#, C++, Visual C++, Visual Basic, VB.NET, Vbscript, Cold Fusion, PHP, ASP, Delphi, Perl, Java/Java Script. You will have to do some web searches. I bought Visual C++ when I started programming for Windows but I didn't find it easy to understand. The easiest language to learn is VB I've been using Visual Basic for 13 years, so I'm slightly behest. There isn't much support from M$ for VB6 but there are loads of forums. There is a big push from M$ to use VB.NET but this will only work in an NT (Win2k/XP) evironment. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users