Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bigfatgoalie

Bigfatgoalie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hi all,

When I click shut down my CPU closes all the windows and does the usual stuff but then right at the end Im always left with the 'Ending program.... click here to end now (lose unsaved work etc) or wait for program to finish'
But when I leave it to finish it just says 'not repsonding' so I have to manually click OK to close it and shut down my PC.

Its not the biggest problem I guess but its annoying! Does anyone have an advice? the program is usually always "explorer.exe" and does happen in safe mode also. I think the other day it was "timer.exe" whatever that is!!?

I dont think its a virus as I have had a pretty good clean out lately so maybe an Op system file?? I ran the SFC/Scan now but that picked up nothing.

Sadly I dont have my original XP disk as the shop wanted to charge me 90 for this when I got my PC a while back so I declined (always a gamble I know) so I cant re-load windows.

But any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

I go through it every day, and I personally run 6 computers in my own home.... and none of them networked.

Here is what I suggest:

no#1. Close out all programs before shutting down your computer.
no#2. Invest into some R.A.M.
no#3. You don't want to hear this, but........ just grin a bare it, and wait for it to shut down..

There is nothing wrong with your computer because that happens. It's mainly because you don't have enough R.A.M. to process the applications to close them out and shut-down.

I would bet you that many of the professionals here will vouch for that. Some programs just get stuck. And yes, it gets annoying. Notepad does it (when I haven't saved the file), Firefox does it, and various other programs do it too, causing the computer to have to wait for me to close out everything before it shuts down. Trust me on this one... I know.

I'm thinking...hmmmmmm .... suppose it's a way that our computers are telling us that we need to properly shut them down, or they will act like that?.... just suppose?

My best advise?.... before shutting down your computer, close out every program that is running, then shut it down. Other than that... R.A.M some R.A.M. up in it.

Edited by Walkman, 02 March 2007 - 05:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users