Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Confusion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

I'm helping my friend build a computer, and I know that pentium D's aren't that good, but he is on a budget, and it works with the motherboard hes getting so he might eventually upgrade to core 2 duo (gotta love run-on sentences!). Well anyways what si the difference between these two processors? this or that . They both have 800 mhz FSB, and 2.8Ghz, but one has 2x2mb L2 cache with 65nm, and the other has 2x1 with 90nm. On top of all this the one with 2x2mb L2 cache is a bit cheaper. So which one should he choose?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:58 PM

Hello,

I would go for the Intel Pentium D 915 Presler 2.8GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail.

Reasons higher cache and smaller manufacturing process. looks quite versitile.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:57 AM

Yes, definitely the 915, overall better in all areas, including cost

Edited by oldf@rt, 03 March 2007 - 12:57 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:14 AM

Well, to answer your original question, the nm means the size of the memory chip (nano-meter?)
If you want to know more, search for the differences between high-density and low-density ram. As this is what these different sizes mean. I think the 2x2 is high-density. I don't think they would have any noticeable differences though. I would search google to see what size chip performs better or causes less heat.

Realize that I'm not really an expert on this though and am not sure if I'm totally right. Chip sizes and stuff like that can be pretty difficult.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:00 AM

Thanks everyone!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:08 AM

The manufacturing process (65nm or 90nm) doesn't have anything directly to do with the cache. It refers to the average size of structures on the chip. A processors with smaller part needs less energy to run and so produces less heat. This takes on an added importance with the NetBurst-into-flames architecture, which both processors you linked to refers to.

The 2x2MB and 2x1MB means that the first one has 2MB of cache per core while the second only has 1MB cache per core. Here, more is better.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users