Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Able To Boot Xp. Mup.sys Error?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 indarkflames

indarkflames

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Since the first day I got my computer (3-4 months ago) I always had this problem. From time to time (it has been happening less and less, expect today) after the 'Windows Loading' screen, the computer hangs on a blank, black screen, I am assuming freezes while trying to boot up XP. When this would happen, I would just reboot a few times until it actually works. But today is an exception. No matter how many times I try, I cannot seem to boot into XP pro. when I try safe mode, it hangs at Mup.sys.
What do you guys think? Software error? Hardware error?

I have an Alienware Area51 7500.
2X 512 ram
RAID 0 enabled
dual geforce 9750gt
Pentium 4 2.66 dual

ps: also, this might be a helpful clue. At the 'Windows loading' screen, the bar usually goes through 3-4 times max, and XP loads. But now, it goes through 8-9 times, and it doesn't boot. I have no idea what that means, but it might be helpful.

ps2: Also, sometimes (rarely) instead of 'windows loading' finishing and THEN the computer hanging,
the 'windows loading' screen goes on forever, accomplishing nothing.

ps3: I have Acronis image saver, which is a backup program that I have installed. You can run it by pressing f11 before XP starts loading, thus I did. It loaded everything fine, but at first it gave a usp3 error but it didnt effect anything. When Acronis loaded up, the mouse was all messed up. I could only go up and down, not any other direction. And even that was all messed up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hello,

Do you have the windows disc? if so boot into the recovery console and tell it to chkdsk, or set it going in safe mode, and mup.sys does take a while to load, if its not loaded in 5-10 mins run the recovery console.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

I ended up waiting around 10 minutes at the blank screen after the Windows Loading screen, and XP ended up booting...So the problem isnt as serious but I still don't understand what it might be caused by...Now that I can boot to XP, should I check something out within XP?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

Glad it worked,

If you go to control panel, click on administrative tools and select event viewer, are there any errors?
Also, some basic maintenence http://www.ccleaner.com/ (tell it to clean, back up registry when scanning registry)

http://www.iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html tell it to do a scan and repair errors,

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php defrag the system.

Also what security set up are you using?

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#5 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

I have AVG anti-virus and Window Defender.
I also use CCleaner, Spybot, and Ad-aware weekly.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

Did event viewer turn out any errors or warnings at the time the system was having trouble?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

nope.
Basically I turned on my computer, logged into XP and opened up Mozilla and it magically froze, thus
I was forced reboot the pc, and that was when I was faced with this problem.

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

Are all the components inside the case secured, also when you are next in windows, click start then run and type sfc /scannow that might help, on the off chance that there is a problem with mozilla, as soon as you start the machine, load up the task manager, select the processes tab and arrange the list by mem usage. if something, for example firefox is taking up resources you can end the process rather than rebooting. (do not end any svchost,)
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users