Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Switch, Hdd Led, Etc Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

I just bought a new case for my gaming computer (the old one was crap). I was in the middle of transplanting all the stuff from the old one into the new, and I got to the connectors for the stuff on the front of the case like the power/reset switches, the HDD led, the front speaker, and all that stuff. Now, on my old case, all of that stuff is clumped into a single connector to make it easy to plug in. Likewise, the motherboard has all of the pins in one bunch, labeled "PB/LED". The problem is, the new case has a separate connector for each widget. This wouldn't be a problem in the pins on the motherboard were labeled for this. It isn't. Is there anything that I can do besides plug the connectors into random pins until it turns on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, thats one way, I have had this same problem...

There might be a diagram near the input, but if there isnt, consult the Motherboard manual.

-Josht

#3 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Well, there's no diagram. I'm sure I'll have a blast trying to find a manual for my mobo. It's from a Compaq school computer. :thumbsup: Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

If anyone's got any idea's for where I can find the manual, that would be great.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:53 AM

Look up the computer by model at http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/suppor...Display=support , most of the models have mainboard diagrams under help and support

Edited by oldf@rt, 03 March 2007 - 12:54 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:42 PM

The model of my old computer is D31m, which (go figure) isn't listed under their support stuff. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a D310 Microtower. the problem is that none of the manuals go into any detail about the problem area besides "Power Switch/LED"; it doesn't show which pins do what. So, am I just screwed until I get a new mobo?

Edited by Village Baka, 03 March 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

Do you still have the old case?
you can make a diagram if you can trace the old header wires back to the switches or leds.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

Your mobo is most likely a MSI MS-6541 v.-1. Here's where you can get more info:

download page

If they conform to the USB standards, the wire colors should
be:
5V / Red
D+ / Green
D - / White
Ground / Black

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Already tried that, oldf@rt. And that's not the right computer.

By sheer luck I figured out where the power switch goes, but beyond that, I'm stumped. Thanks for all the support, but I think I'm just going to have to wait until I get a new motherboard to plug in the rest of the stuff. Thanks again.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

Here is the manual page for the Compaq Evo D310 Microtower

The first manual (illistrated parts map) has a diagram of where things go.

#10 grannieannie

grannieannie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hi there, I'm afraid I'm hijacking another thread!!!! Sorry, but I thought its better than starting a new thread, when this one is similar to my problem. Well same as actually!!! lol

I am re-building my computer. My SIL built it for me 2 years ago, but I wanted a bit more oomph in it as it won't install and/or run some of my games. I'm not a big game fanatic, just simple things like the SIMS and Cluedo, but it keeps me occupied on rainy days!!

I've put in a 2nd hand mobo (see, I'm learning new words here already!!!!) lol Anyway, its an Intel Desktop Board D815EA2/D815EPEA2 with an Intel Pentium III processor. The power supply is an ISO Switching Power Supply Model No. ISO-450PP.

I also don't know where to put the front panel connectors. I can see the pins, and my connectors have different coloured wires, but there is no indication on the pins as to what goes where. I've tried several positions, but even if the front lights light up, the power goes on as soon as I plug it in, so obviously the power switch is in the wrong place. There was no manual with the mobo, and no diagram on it anywhere that I can see. The PC it came out of is about 5 years old.

The connectors are labelled:

HDD LED with red & white wires
Power LED with green & white wires
Power SW with red & white wires and
Reset SW with blue & white wires.

I've just put in a 2nd hand 40gig hard drive which is a Maxtor.

Also, there are some little wires that were never fitted by my SIL tucked away under the HDD housing. Should they be plugged in to anything?

one says ground - black wire
+D - green wire
-D - yellow wire
+5V - red wire.

another has ground - black wire
+D - blue wire
-D - white wire
+5V - red wire

then there are 4 small ones Mic in and MIC VCC
L - out and L - ret
R-out and R-ret
and ground with a black wire.

Any ideas very greatly appreciated, and I'm a total newbie at this lark, so please treat me like a total idiot with any advice!!!!! Thanks

#11 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Hi grannieannie,

Using Google, I found these:

"Intel Desktop Boards D815EEA2, D815EPEA2, D815EFV, and D815EPFV Product Guide":

http://download.intel.com/support/motherbo...2FV_English.pdf

and "Intel® Desktop Board D815EEA2/D815EPEA2":

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboa...sktop/d815eea2/

P.S. Yes, it would have been better to start a new thread, because it is unlikely that this thread is about the same motherboard.

#12 grannieannie

grannieannie

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Thanks so much M..., I now have a manual for my mobo, and it has a brilliant diagram on the front panel connections. First attempt didn't succeed, then realised I'd upt the connectors in facing the wrong way! I can now turn the power on AND off and I have lights!!!!

Thanks.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users