Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Needs Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 emsdad

emsdad

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

I am relativley stupid when it comes to this, but I have something going on with my computer and cannot figure out what. First off my homepage will not reset to what I want it goes straight to msn. When I type in a search it redirects me to another sight. The only way I can go where I want is to type it in the address bar. When I run spybot or windows defender it show seekmo search assitant. I cannot get rid of it. I looked in the add/remove programs and cannot find it. What can I do to get rid of this?? I have norton systemworks as my virus protection and it does not find any problems. Someone please HELP!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 emsdad

emsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

See how new I am, I dont even know what forum I am in.

#3 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

I found this on a website:

Category Description:Program that delivers advertisements on your PC.

Note that many websites have their own advertising, unrelated to adware.

Adware is any software application in which advertising is displayed while the program is running. The authors of these applications include additional code that delivers the ads, which can be viewed through pop-up windows or through a bar that appears on a computer screen and sometimes through text links or in integrated search results. Adware may or may not track personal information. It may also gather information anonymously or in aggregate only. Users should check the EULA and Privacy policy to ensure if the adware on their machines conforms to their standards. Official Description:This search assistant from 180Solutions is the successor to 180 Search Assistant. It appears to be a rebranded version of their existing product. This is in the same way that nCase was to 180 Search Assistant. 180Solutions announced that this was to enforce some security on their affiliates who were abusing the software and pushing their product on customers.
pqnelhleyy 59f1f6e1 45e87cae
This Adware keep tracks on user browsing activities and disply ads according to that. Comment:This search assistant has been known to distribute large amounts of pop-up advertisements. Seekmo itself is a 'search based advertising application'. This means that it uses your search habits to show you advertisements you might be interested in.Information URL:http://www.seekmo.com/

Seekmo is Designed by 180solutions, a company that makes adware, you may notice many different 180/seekmo products on your computer. And Also try this:

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE
Please download AVG Anti-Spyware to your Desktop or to your usual Download Folder.
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

* Install AVG Anti-Spyware by double clicking the installer.
* Follow the prompts. Make sure that Launch AVG Anti-Spyware is checked.
* On the main screen under Your Computer's security.
o Click on Change state next to Resident shield. It should now change to inactive.
o Click on Change state next to Automatic updates. It should now change to inactive.
o Next to Last Update, click on Update now. (You will need an active internet connection to perform this)
o Wait until you see the Update succesfull message.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and uncheck Start with Windows.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
AVG Anti-Spyware manual updates.
Download the Full database to your Desktop or to your usual Download Folder and install it by double clicking the file. Make sure that AVG Anti-Spyware is closed before installing the update.

Close ALL open Windows / Programs / Folders. Reboot in safe mode Please start AVG Anti-Spyware and run a full scan.

* Click on Scanner on the toolbar.
* Click on the Settings tab.
o Under How to act?
+ Click on Recommended Action and choose Quarantine from the popup menu.
o Under How to scan?
+ All checkboxes should be ticked.
o Under Possibly unwanted software:
+ All checkboxes should be ticked.
o Under Reports:
+ Select Automatically generate report after every scan and uncheck Only if threats were found.
o Under What to scan?
+ Select Scan every file.
* Click on the Scan tab.
* Click on Complete System Scan to start the scan process.
* Let the program scan the machine.
* When the scan has finished, follow the instructions below.
IMPORTANT : Don't click on the "Save Scan Report" button before you did hit the "Apply all Actions" button.
o Make sure that Set all elements to: shows Quarantine (1), if not click on the link and choose Quarantine from the popup menu. (2)
o At the bottom of the window click on the Apply all Actions button. (3)

Posted Image

* When done, click the Save Scan Report button. (4)
o Click the Save Report as button.
o Save the report to your Desktop.
* Right-click the AVG Anti-Spyware Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

Reboot in Normal Mode.

THan
* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

If that does not clear up matters than please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. About half way down are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

After you have run the cleanmanager, prior to go over the steps for HiJacktThis please post back how this computer is running now.

This is Fozzies Message, used by me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users