Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol Active Virus Shield

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

My son wants to install this on his computer.Could someone give me a bit of info on this.I have never dealt with this program before.Is there a proper way to install this?He says it's part of Kaspersky antivirus.I decided to check here before letting him install this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

Do you have AOL on your computer now? AOL is free but it is heavy with Ads. There are other free antiviruses available. It is recommended to ONLY have one antivirus program installed on your computer to avoid problems. The way I understand it the free Kaspersky that AOL offers is not fully functional.
The link below is to a list of free programs. The top of the list is free antiviruses.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

Active Virus Shield is Kaspersky based and IMO a more effective anti-virus than many others. Read "And The Best Antivirus Is…."
1. Kaspersky version 6.0.0.303 - 99.62%
2. Active Virus Shield by AOL version 6.0.0.299 - 99.62%

These types of comparative results will vary depending on who is doing the comparison testing, what they are testing for, what versions of anti-virus software is beging tested, etc.

You don't want to install the AOL security toolbar because it has adware functionality and has a tendency to freeze the browser. See the reviews here and here.
How to Install, Configure, and Use
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 03:03 AM

quietman hit the nail right on the head. when this programme was first offered by aol, i thought "they must be up to something". there is questionable wording in the eula, but they have been playing by the rules with this programme. so far, no dirty tricks. what you get with this programme is not much different than what i pay for. kaspersky is super protection.

#5 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:55 AM

The antivirus seems decent enough.I've just downloaded the suite and will give it a go for a year.It's just that i've heard of issues with aol before and i was being cautious.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:48 AM

It's just that i've heard of issues with aol before and i was being cautious

The issues you heard about were probably related more to its Spyware Protection features or the optional toolbar offered when installing Active Virus Shield. AOL automatically installs Spyware Protection as part of their bundled package. This Spyware Protection program is a licensed clone that is not notably effective in its scanning. They initially used a clone of Aluria Anti-Spyware SpywareEliminator. Aluria entered a partnership with WhenU, an internet advertising company, which was associated with pop-up advertisements and spyware. This partnership caused concern and numerous complaints so AOL switched to Pest Patrol.

SpyZapper works alongside AOL Spyware Protection to automatically target the most disruptive forms of spyware and other programs that may cause connection problems, performance issues, and security risks. The SpyZapper feature scans the computer and helps members decide whether they want to block the programs it identifies. Again, this feature is not notably effective and can be disabled.

In early 2000, AOL entered a deal with McAfee to be the premier anti-virus service provider on AOL, AOL.com and AOL's Shop@AOL marketplace. In October 2004, AOL offered McAfee VirusScan Online as part of its 9.0 Security Edition software. McAfee became part of the AOL Safety and Security Center and later agreed to permit some of its technology to be used with AOL's Total Care. In August 2006, AOL introduced free anti-virus protection with Active Virus Shield powered by Kaspersky Lab Ltd.'s well-regarded anti-virus software and an optional security toolbar that is not recommended because it has adware functionality and tendency to freeze the browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:19 PM

there is one feature, the paid kaspersky av has, that i love, it's automatic shut-off. i set it to scan on high in safe mode and check the box that says "automatically shut off computer when scan is complete". i set it to scan, and go to bed. in the morning i get the results of the scan, without the wait. i know the active shield scan is essentially the same thing as far as it's quality, but i wonder if it also includes the automatic shut-off feature.

#8 newchap

newchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hi quietman,You seems to be up on this subject.What would be a good firewall to run with this?Perhaps anyone running AVS would like to share what they're using for a firewall. :thumbsup:

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:18 AM

i use kerio 2.1.5 with kaspersky. zone alarm personal conflicted with it, and needed to be uninstalled.

#10 leeboy

leeboy

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

I've just installed AOL active virus shield but it has slowed my system right down and the machine wont shut down now unless it is switched off at the plug. I'm going to uninstall it and go back to AVG free which works really well. I got to say, I'm very dissapointed with Active Virus Shield. I know it is supposed to be really good but it doesn't work on my system. It also slows down my internet connection dramatically and messes with outlook so I cant recieve Email.

Leeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users