Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SRK62

SRK62

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hi,
I am using w2k with sp4.Recently my computer has started taking a long time in 'saving your settings' while shutting down.Is it possible to skip this step?If not how can I make it quite fast?
Thanks a lot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

Before shutting down, check to see how many applications are running. The computer may take time closing unneeded ones as it shuts down. Bypassing the operating system's setting saving is certainly not advised.
Have you scanned your hard drive for malware and run routine maintenance recently?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 SRK62

SRK62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

Dear John,
The remedies you suggested are of a pedestrian type that one tries before placing the problem here.Your reply is really disappointing and the patronizing tone adds a bad taste to it.
Since many may be facing the same problem I am giving below the solution which I obtained from Microsoft online help.It has solved my problem.
SRK62

"CAUSE
Windows File Protection (WFP) is scanning the recently restored files to verify that they are correctly signed and registered. Until WFP finishes this process, the shutdown process is suspended.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
260910 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260910/EN-US/) How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
This reduces the wait time considerably, but does not totally eliminate the additional shutdown time that is required because WFP must still complete the file scan. To work around this problem and keep your computer accessible after the restoration and minimize the reboot time:
1. Start Task Manager, and then click the Processes tab.
2. Click the CPU column to sort by CPU utilization. Note that Winlogon.exe is at approximately 90 percent (or more) utilization.
3. After the restoration is completed, do not shutdown; instead, wait for the Winlogon.exe CPU utilization to return to normal (usually zero percent). After Winlogon.exe is back to normal, shutdown. The reboot should only take the normal amount of time."

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

Please bear in mind that BC is frequented by users of varying expertise and knowledge, and especially that the site is designed to help beginning and intermediate users. Consequently, since it was impossible to know from what you posted that you have expertise (see your post of Dec.14 in which you write "I am not very computer savy"), I replied with some simple and basic suggestions in an effort to help you.
Thank you for posting the solution you got from MS.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 17 March 2007 - 09:12 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 SRK62

SRK62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

Dear John,
Thank you for your kind mail.I am sorry about that last sentence in my previous mail.I really regret it.
SRK62

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users