Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Acces But No Internet!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mjuul1

mjuul1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

On my DELL inspiron I have the problem that my WLAN connection will not log access the internet - i.e. it will not find an IP.
I have seen on this forum that this is a rather common problem, but the solutions that have helped others do help me.
Some suggest a WINSocketXPfix program. But will this alter alter the setup on the router? The problem is that my apartment shares network with many others so I can not alter the router setup. The network works perfectly on my flat mate's laptop.
There is of cause security on the network but since I have the key and also is able to lock on that can not be the problem.
Should I try the fix program or will it mess up the router settings (and I will be in trouble...)?

Martin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

ask if the router has "mac address authentication" as well as a "key". also , do you use the windows "zero wireless configuration"? or a utility that came with your wireless? have you checked for spyware/adware/virus yet? are you able to use wireless anywhere else? if you plugged in your laptop instead of usingwireless can you access the net?
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

The network is using MAC auth. but the admin. has my MAC and also the network is protected by a key. And I have that and also when I connect to the network the status reads Connected. The wireless should be working fine and I'm able to connect to other networks.
I have tried to use the utility that came with the wireless card but the situation is the same. I have now just installed the driver and is using WIN to config my network connections.
When I use the repair function it says after a minute or so that it could not renew IP address.
It says my IP is 192.168.0.20 and I can see that on my flat mate's it is 192.168.0.25 and the standard gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the same on his laptop.
I have windows defender and it says that my laptop is fine the same goes for my F-Secure anti virus.
I have not plugged in here with a wire since there is no...
What can I try?

Martin

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

try making a static ip.
sounds like you may have a dlink router, use>>
ip 192.168.0.54
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.0.1

also, try to ping your router, being as you have an ip addreess

start>run> type in "cmd" then hit enter. in the box that opens, type in "ping 192.168.0.1" hit enter.
if it says reply, then you can talk to the router, if it says timeout, you can't. we will then check something else.
dave

#5 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

Ok, I tried to make a static IP but it made no difference.
I then tried to ping my router and it replied timeout.

I have also talked to the admin. and he has also no idea of what is wrong...

#6 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

Ok, I tried to make a static IP but it made no difference.
I then tried to ping my router and it replied timeout.

I have also talked to the admin. and he has also no idea of what is wrong...

If the network is set up for DHCP, and you make your PC a static IP PC, that will not work, the DHCP server might try to assign the IP address to some one else also.

What you can do is do a ipconfig /all, and get the info for
MAC
IP address
Gaway
DNS.
Get the DNS entry IP addresses from the Admin if it does not show up by doing the ipconfig.
Leave everything at automatic, but enter the DNS server information on the DNS tab. There are mostly 2 DNS addresses.
Also find out what subnet the network is using, and what kind of router is acting as an access point?

Let us know...

#7 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

When i make a ipconfig/all I get:
IP.......................192.168.0.20
Submask ............255.255.255.0
Standardgateway.192.168.0.1
DHCP..................192.168.0.1
DNS....................192.168.0.1

And except form the IP this is the same as my flat mate's laptop, that has no problem accessing the Internet. And I have also tried to type in the DNS and still the same problem.
And everything on my connection (except form IP) is the same as his. But he has an other WLAN card. Can it be that in some way this card has problems accessing internet in some setups but not other. Just today I used the wireless connection to log on the University network and it worked perfectly!

This really freaks me out, so I appreciate all your help!

Martin

#8 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

When i make a ipconfig/all I get:
IP.......................192.168.0.20
Submask ............255.255.255.0
Standardgateway.192.168.0.1
DHCP..................192.168.0.1
DNS....................192.168.0.1

And except form the IP this is the same as my flat mate's laptop, that has no problem accessing the Internet. And I have also tried to type in the DNS and still the same problem.
And everything on my connection (except form IP) is the same as his. But he has an other WLAN card. Can it be that in some way this card has problems accessing internet in some setups but not other. Just today I used the wireless connection to log on the University network and it worked perfectly!

This really freaks me out, so I appreciate all your help!

Martin

OK lets kick it up a notch... :thumbsup:
Do a ping for the gateway 192.168.0.1
Then ping own IP address 192.168.0.20

One more thing to check, when you did the ipconfig/all, it gave you the Physical address for the NIC. It is possible that you have 2 or more NIC cards in the system. One would be the ethernet jack IP mac address, one would be the mac address of the wireless card, then sometimes if you have a bluetooth adaptor that will have a 3rd MAC address. Check if the Admin of this network has the MAC address of the Wireless card.

After this, ask if your admin can ping your IP address?
Another thing to do.... in the cmd prompt, type ipconfig /release(Space between the ipconfig & slash)
then do ipconfig /renew and see if you t a different IP address ( Supposing this is not a static IP address)

Another thing to try.. a long shot... disable the firewall and the AV, to see if you can get to the internet, if you can, then atleast we know one of them is a culprit and can figure that out later...
Let us know...

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

it's true you could have the same ip address as another node on the network. there is 254 (256 really) possible addresses on a 255.255.255.0 network. if there was a conflict, your os winxp, would notify you. you would know for certain then also that your computer can see the router at least.

saying that, we know your lap connects with other wireless networks, the router works with other wireless devices. i would think its a profile issue your laptop has created with that particular router.
router security is mac address authetication, and wep, or is it wpa/psk?
try going into the properties of your wireless connection, removing the profile for that wireless router, and try to set it up again fresh. chances are this would help, make certain the router does have your mac included in the allow list, and the sercuity key (wep/wpa/psk whatever) is put in correctly. your issue dosent sound serious, more like not properly set up.

#10 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

it's true you could have the same ip address as another node on the network. there is 254 (256 really) possible addresses on a 255.255.255.0 network. if there was a conflict, your os winxp, would notify you. you would know for certain then also that your computer can see the router at least.

saying that, we know your lap connects with other wireless networks, the router works with other wireless devices. i would think its a profile issue your laptop has created with that particular router.
router security is mac address authetication, and wep, or is it wpa/psk?
try going into the properties of your wireless connection, removing the profile for that wireless router, and try to set it up again fresh. chances are this would help, make certain the router does have your mac included in the allow list, and the sercuity key (wep/wpa/psk whatever) is put in correctly. your issue dosent sound serious, more like not properly set up.

I thought he did not have access to the wireless router..... :thumbsup:

#11 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

The thing is that I can access the router and the admin. told me that there should be no problem with the IP - i.e. there is no other on the network with the same IP. But I can not log on the Internet.
Regarding the security. The network has hidden SSID, MAC auth. and also a WEP key. I have tried several times to set up the connection again and it all looked the same and the problem did not solve.
And also turning off all firewall and AV and making a repair function but no change.
The strange thing is that when I make the repair after an minute or so the yellow triangle symbol appears at the WLAN symbol but only to disappear after one or two seconds.
If I make a ping 192.168.0.1 it says timeout
If I make a ping 192.168.0.20 is says ok

I think I have tried that you have suggested but still no progress.

Martin

#12 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

fyi, if you ping 192.168.0.1, that is router, you cant access it i guess. pinging 192.168.0.20, that is you, you are pinging yourself.
didi the admin triple check the mac address, make sure you added the wireless mac and not the wired mac addy in your laptop. because you do have 2 different cards, so you have 2 different addresses. also note, sonce you have to manually put in the SSID, make sure you are case sensitive, because the router is. i spent 30 minutes on that one setting up ubuntu on my lap!! lol.

#13 mjuul1

mjuul1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

It works now!
I don't know what has happened. I visited my parents and had the same problems logging on to their WLAN but then I tried my dads WALN card from his laptop and then I worked. Now I back in my flat and has made no changes and it now works with my own card - the one that did not work before.
But thanks for all your help anyway!

Martin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users