Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Woundering

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cwdk2001

cwdk2001

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:00 PM

Hi I was Just Woundering I have three compters all running Windows XP and was curious to see if I could share a file with only one of the computers so the two could see it but the third could not if that is possible could you let me know how thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:50 AM

XP home or pro?

#3 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:47 AM

Home Edition

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:23 PM

Create the accounts on the machine your sharing the folder for the various users that you want to allow access to these directories.

Reboot into safe mode with networking. Share your folder. Go back into the folder properties and change the permissions so that only your normal login and the logins for the remove users can have full control over the folder.

Reboot into normal mode and test

#5 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

What I meant was so that just two computers can access the information no two people on the same computer Thanks though

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

Its still the same process. In order to access your shares they will need to log on. So add the users on the shared machine, and explicity change the permissions in safe mode on the shared folders so only those users can access them

#7 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

I tried that but I could only see my computer

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:05 PM

Hmm lets back up then. Do you have the network working at all? You need to go into the network properties of your lan adapter on each computer and make sure microsoft file and print sharing is enabled.

Then each computer needs to be in the same workgroup. Then you need to share a folder. Do all the computers see that shared folder?

#9 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:07 PM

I am curruently sharing folders on the computer thats what I found to be strange to I went in to safe mode and safe mode with networking and both were just my computer the other computers were powered on and were currently active at the time too I know all three computers can access the shared files so the network is working I don't know what else it could be.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:10 PM

So when all the computers are booted up into normal mode, and one of them is sharing a folder, the other two cant see that shared folder?

Can you ping one computer's ip address from the other ones?

#11 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:32 PM

no they can all see the folder I want to make it so one particular computer can't see it

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:44 PM

There is no way to make it so a computer cant see a share. There is only a way to make it so that computer can not connect to it. You can hide the share if you want so unless you the know the explicity name it wont be seen. Would that help? If so just put a $ in front of the share name and it will be hidden

#13 cwdk2001

cwdk2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

ok I'll try that thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users