Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crc Errors Installing From New Game Disks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 my_drive_troubles

my_drive_troubles

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:49 PM

Hi all,

I'm very new and banging my head against the wall, trying to figure out how to get to use some software from 3 different makers that I paid for, and expected to be able to install with no problem. It's really irritating me, because I had a computer for about 5 years that never once gave me trouble, and I decided to upgrade so I could play a couple of the games on the market. Now I can hardly get any of the things I really wanted to install loaded successfully on my new PC, and have almost decided not to buy anything new for it. It's extremely irritating, though, because I spent a lot of time trying to find out what a good system might look like, and had a custom PC company design one for me. Hardly does any good, though, since it won't run most of the software I want to use on it.

The main problem I'm getting at the moment is a lot of CRC errors when I try to install. I'm hoping someone here can clue me in to what steps I need to take to solve this, or just tell me which of the explanations further down might be the most likely one.

These all produce CRC errors installing from optical media, and in cases where I tried it, also when copied onto the HDD and installed from there:

World of Warcraft (despite the fact that I successfully installed this twice prior to a major computer crash)

Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Baldur's Gate 2 (I have both a CD-ROM version and a DVD version, and they both produce CRC errors)

These were installed successfully from optical media:
Neverwinter Nights; Guild Wars; Kaspersky AntiVirus; ITunes; PCDoctor; drivers and software for an HP printer

The drive reads music CD's as well as regular DVD's, and can burn disks okay.

I have searched and searched for explanations and ideas about how to troubleshoot this, and have found the following. I hope someone here will tell me which of the ideas below are likely explanations of the problem.

Disks are bad - except that they are all brand new disks, and I took special care not to damage them knowing that my drive might be overly sensitive to media

Optical drive is damaged - thinking that this might be the case I went out and sank another 150 dollars to buy a new optical drive by a different maker... and still crc errors

Hard Drive is dying - I don't know much about this, but defrag and chkdsk don't indicate that this is likely.

Cables are loose (connecting optical drive, or connecting hard drive) - I don't have the skill and know how to open my pc to check this, and don't want to void the warranty (when I asked the shop where my pc is from, though, they said confidently that crc errors are from bad disks... which I strongly doubt)

Drive speed is too fast for an old game (BG2) (at first I thought that this might be the case, so I bought an optical drive that runs at a lower speed with CD-ROMs... but this is unlikely... I successfully installed BG1, and also, my BG2 I tried installing both from original version disks as well as a DVD-ROM version designed for an 8x DVD drive, and got crc errors in every case)

Memory speed should be set to 100MHz rather than 133 in BIOS settings - I don't know the first thing about BIOS... this could be an issue, but if I play with that am I going to kill my computer?

Disable "read ahead" and DMA - again, I don't know anything about either of these... I have seen several posts saying that this might work to get rid of crc errors, but is this something that could somehow damage my computer?

Install in Safe Mode - I've never owned software that can only be installed in safe mode, and it seems odd to me. My experiences with safe mode have only ever been when my computer is in the process of dying, and I'm afraid of killing my PC. Will installing programs in safe mode somehow hurt my system?

I should mention that my PC, which is now about 2 months old, has already had one major crash which was apparently caused by bad RAM. Prior to that, I was able to install Warcraft successfully. Later on, my computer died, and required a reinstallation of Windows. This was done by the professionals at the company where I bought the computer. Since then, though, I haven't been able to install Warcraft, which before ran with no troubles whatsoever. The disks were not damaged in the meantime.

Thank you for any insights you can provide. I haven't posted system info because I'm running Japanese Windows (making this more difficult for me to troubleshoot), but I can tell you that my computer is running an Intel Dual-Core Processor, an nVidia 8800GTS, has 2 Gigs of RAM (supposed to be 2 sticks, dual channel, 800MHz), 320 Gig HDD, ASUS P5B Motherboard, HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N SCSI Drive. It also has software installed to run a Xacti camera.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for taking the time to read it.
Custom PC by Dospara (Japan), Intel Core2 6600@2.40 GHz, 2.00GB RAM, ASUS P5B Motherboard, 320GB SerialATAII HDD, nVidia 8800GTS, single home PC on university LAN, Win XP Media Center Edition 2005 OEM SP2, Internet Explorer and Outlook, Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

The best thing to do to find out where the problem is at is to find another computer in which you can install the games, or at least one of them.

If it installs ok on another computer, then the problem is within your computer.
If it doesn't install on another computer either, then there is a problem with the disc itself.

Another thing you can try is this:
Download DAEMON Tools:
http://www.daemon-tools.cc get the v3.47

Make an image(ISO) of any disc, then load them into the DAEMON Tools. The disc/image will auto run once you do that. Then install.

If that works, then you have a problem with your drives or the drivers.
If that doesn't work, then maybe the program itself is corrupted.

If none of the above works for you, then there is something going on with your computer and (or) drivers.

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

What exactly does it say when you try to install? I would check the event viewer under control panel > administrative tools > event viewer, look for red x's that have to do with your problem. They may be able to give more information.

Frankly, I don't think any of those fixes would do any harm to your computer that couldn't be undone. In our humble computer-loving community, almost all of the time people will post a big warning before anything that would harm your computer.

Now I really don't know anything about scuzzy drives, so I'd wait for advice from someone else who has dealt with them before.

Sorry I'm not too much of a help, but it's always nice to know someone has looked at your problem. =D Good luck!

Posted Image

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

On top of what Walkman suggested, when I see people (myself included) having issues installing certain programs, I tend to think it's due to something not letting them install it, like a firewall or anti virus. You might want to try doing virus update and then scan your computer. Once it comes up clean, disconnect from the internet (best way is to physically unplug from it from your computer) then disable your firewall and anti virus. Now, try installing them again and see if that helps. I've seen this work several times (again, myself included) and I've seen it not be the problem. Let's hope it works for you! :thumbsup:

Also, if your computer is that new, I'd take it back and pitch a fit that somethings not right, that it worked before and you could install things and that it won't work now after the crash and after their repairs they made to it.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

CRC errors are normally caused by improper termination of the SCSI drives. Such as more than on drive in the scsi chain having termination turned on, drive cables with active termination and the termination jumper installed, no termination at all.

only the last physical drive in thje scsi chain should be terminated, and only if the scsi ribbon does not have termination. Sometines these look like a drive connector without any holes.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 my_drive_troubles

my_drive_troubles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread, and sorry for the wait on updating what has happened since posting. Right after my last post, I started getting blue screens and error messages in event viewer that didn't make sense to me. It turned out that it was a memory issue, which I wasn't expecting since I had just had the memory replaced less than a month before this all started. It didn't even occur to me to check it since I assumed they would have thoroughly tested it before sending it back to me.

The company that made the computer (I think) didn't check what RAM would work with the motherboard, and I think that was causing all the trouble. Computer is running without any glitches now, and I have been able to install everything.

Thank you all for the help!
Custom PC by Dospara (Japan), Intel Core2 6600@2.40 GHz, 2.00GB RAM, ASUS P5B Motherboard, 320GB SerialATAII HDD, nVidia 8800GTS, single home PC on university LAN, Win XP Media Center Edition 2005 OEM SP2, Internet Explorer and Outlook, Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:49 PM

You're very much welcome, .. and we're glad you're now able to install and play your games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users