Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Gone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lowell

Lowell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

I just restarted my computer and my desktop whont show up. I restarted and again it didn't show up. In task manager, under process, explorer.exe isn't there. I ran explorer.exe from task manager and it just stopped and still no desktop. what do i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:40 AM

If you can boot into Safemode, do that and create a new user account and try again.

#3 Lowell

Lowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

how do i boot into safemode

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

HOW TO START WINDOWS IN SAFE MODE

The only time I've ever seen a desktop disapear was when a computer was infested with malware... :thumbsup: Might want to run some anti malware programs just to be safe. I'd follow these steps HERE, up to but not including the submitting the HJT log, unless you feel that you need to. If running a few of the malware programs gets your desktop back, then you've probably still got some infections on your computer, and submitting a HJT log might not be a bad idea :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Lowell

Lowell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

i got it

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

You got what? Are you saying you have your desktop back.

If you still don't try this, just make sure you back up the registry before doing it:

When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

a. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
b. Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
c. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
d. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
e. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
f. Restart your computer

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

I guess he got in then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users