Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading To Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

My Dad bought a Compaq Computer with windows ME pre-installed on it, is there a way to get a free windows XP upgrade from Microsoft?

-JoshT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

I doubt it.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

No free XP upgrades from MSFT I know of either.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

I contacted Microsoft, which in turn they told me to contact HP/Compaq, and I did, they said that HP doesnt offer software Upgrades, and that pretty much I was on my own.

Thanks anyways.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

Well, Thanks for letting us know.. Good Luck

I think I saw an XP Home upgrade at Amazon for like $90
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

Josh, with only 128 megs of RAM in that machine, WinXP would not run worth a hang anyway. The Operating System alone uses about 200 megs. IOW even if it will load it will constantly be swapping data on and of the hard drive ("thrashing").

Best stick with WinMe unless you are willing to to upgrade the RAM to at least 384 megs.

#7 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:39 AM

Josh, with only 128 megs of RAM in that machine, WinXP would not run worth a hang anyway. The Operating System alone uses about 200 megs. IOW even if it will load it will constantly be swapping data on and of the hard drive ("thrashing").

Best stick with WinMe unless you are willing to to upgrade the RAM to at least 384 megs.

Yeah your right, I do have a computer that has windows XP pro on it, and it only has got about 256MBs of Memory, and it freezes all the time.

I'd rather have 98SE rather than ME, though. But after some thought, this computer will probably be trashed for it unreliability.

Thanks for all your guys input.

-JoshT

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Never say the words "free" and "Microsoft" in the same sentence.
Thats an oxymoron
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

Yeah your right, I do have a computer that has windows XP pro on it, and it only has got about 256MBs of Memory, and it freezes all the time.

I'd rather have 98SE rather than ME, though. But after some thought, this computer will probably be trashed for it unreliability.

Thanks for all your guys input.

-JoshT

You could also install Windows 2000, easier on your system than XP.
I am running XP on a Compaq Evo, 2.0 Ghz with 256 memory and its lower than hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users