Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Machine Full Of Spyware, Malware?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mr phil

mr phil

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

This is my first post :thumbsup: , I came across this place while looking for a way to remove System Doctor from my machine.

Along with System Doctor I get numerous pop ups advertising spyware removal products, System Alert Pop Ups from the system tray with various warnings about spyware including a NetWorm-iVirus@fp.

My home page has been changed to www.protectionband.com and i cannot alter this in the normal way and everytime i open IE i get a warning appear about a W32.MyZor.fk@yf.

I am running XP Home with SP2, Zone Alarm and have the following installed:

Spybot (updated today) scan found PestTrap & zlob.VideoActiveXObject i fixed these but i've done that before.

Ad-aware but when trying to update i get the following message "Error retrieving update"

I have also ran CyberHawk, Windows Defender & AVG trying to remove the problems. I think the system may also have a version of Norton on that it came with.

Any advise would be more than welcome.

Thanks
Phil

Edited by mr phil, 01 March 2007 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

We have a self-help section for removing common malware.

Please see the self-help tutorial How To Remove System Doctor 2006.

When done, download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
  • There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • Select close to exit the program.

Edited by quietman7, 01 March 2007 - 05:03 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mr phil

mr phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:25 AM

Thank you quietman7,

I have followed the steps to remove System Doctor 2006 but when I got to the part in hijackthis none of the entries it says to select were listed, is this normal? I also now have a problem when logging into Hotmail, I get to enter my email and password but then I get a page cannot be displayed error.

Once again, thank you for your help and I will complete the SUPERAnitSpyware scan this evening.

Edited by mr phil, 02 March 2007 - 03:42 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:08 AM

The tutorial shows the Hijackthis entries and files associated with this malware. However, they may not always be present especially if you already started using anti-malware tools. They are all listed so you can check your system to see if they are still present afterwards.

How is your system running? Are there are more symptoms?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 mr phil

mr phil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in reply but still having one or two issues with my PC at home. I dont get any pop ups anymore and nothing from the system tray, thank you. However, the homepage is set up msn (which i can live with) but i cannot change it, also when i try to log into hotmail or ebay, or even post a reply on here, i get the page cannot be displayed error.

Do you have any ideas, or am i better off posting in a different section?

The PC does seem slugging and grinds to a hault occasionally and it also loses the wireless network settings after shutting down.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users