Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 Hanging Up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blackwoof

Blackwoof

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting my offices desktop computer working, and have reached a roadblock. The problem is that when opening Windows Outlook 2003 - Office Professional Edition, the application hangs when it tries to auto-open the Inbox. Windows Service Pack 2 (SP2) has been installed, as well as all current Windows/Microsoft patches, etc. I can't access any folders in Outlook as the entire application is frozen, but I can minimize and/or close Outlook as needed.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) I ran scanpst.exe on the Outlook.pst file found in c:\Email. It analyzed and repaired some corruptions in the file, but still had the same symptoms.
NOTE: The Outlook.pst file on many computers is found in the C:\Documents and Settings\ <user> \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder.

2) I then backed up the Outlook.pst file, replaced it with a copy of the existing Archive.pst file, and was able to fully access Outlook with no hanging. So Outlook works fine, and I believe it's the original Outlook.pst file that is the problem. Partial success!!!!
NOTE: Archive.pst only held the last two days of emails, much less than over 6 months of correspondence.
3) What now?

I've gotten Outlook to run properly again, however, I'm now trying to figure out if there is some way to recover the seemingly corrupted data in the original Outlook.pst. The file is only a little less than 400 Kbytes in size, and from what research I've done Outlook should be able to handle a .pst file up to 2 Gbytes.
The first email Outlook is trying to auto-open in the Inbox is 64 Kbytes in size, and has a picture cut/pasted onto the email (not attached). I gave it some 10+ minutes to see if Outlook would eventually grind enough to open the hogger email, hoping it was just lagging due to the size, but no luck.
I'm brainstorming here and wonder. Is there a way to possibly disable, or prevent, the auto-open of email when you first open Outlook, so I could delete the questionable email and most likely recover all the data. Or, is there a way to fix the file, if it is indeed, corrupted? Or, is there something simple I'm missing that would help?

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Blackwoof, wanna-be techie :oP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:34 AM

to receover lost files ; PC Inspector File Recovery download and review - data recovery ...

The safest thing is to disable to preview pane in Outlook, which you do under View

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users