Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have No Sound

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cautiouz

cautiouz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

I tried a search to find an answer to my problem but was unsuccessful. I hope this is a new thread :thumbsup:

Anywayzzz, sinced I removed the Glacier Trojan Im having all types of problems downloading stuff. I mean, thats cool. Some of the stuff I can get by with; however, I have no sound, no audio device. My sound card is there and I opened my tower, checked the card to make sure it was secured in the slot and reinserted the soundcard (which is a Soundblaster 5.1 Live).. I downloaded Belcharc; did a profile of my PC which revealed the followed information regards to multimedia:

Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
Creative SBLive! Gameport
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
SiS 7012 Audio Driver
Standard Game Port
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

After reading several of the posts here, I suppose I needed to download drivers. But I cant download anything :flowers: I found the free (cause Im poor unfortunately :trumpet: ) SiS 7012 drivers but; it said that an installation support file could not be installed and that and interface wasn't registered :inlove: Will I need to gert rid of this computer because I cant afford a new operating system?

I have 7 computers that people have given me to help me out; but there is always something wrong with them. I try to fix them and it seems as though it is so easy to repair. There is nothing wrong with this computer (the one Im using now) except that it has no sound.

You have helped me out of situations before because you dont use all those technical terms where people cant understand you. I can understand what you say here because its basic and I really know nothing about computers.

So, at this point, what can I do to get the sound back working on this pc? Or, is this possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

If you can't download anything, then how did you come across the sis drivers? If you can download, then the drivers don't cost anything, and are free for download on the creative website.

On the flipside, if you got rid of a trojan, chances are that there's other "baddies" on your computer still. If you have any anti malware programs laying around that you could install, please do so then run them to try to clean up the computer. This may solve your downloading issue. HERE's a list of free malware programs.

With your OS, what is the make and model of your PC (like a Dell Dimension 4120, or Gateway 2410 etc.)? If it's got a preinstalled os, then you could use the recovery to redo the machine. If it's a version of windows that some one bought, and you don't have the disc to it, then you may very well be out of luck. :flowers: If you do have a disc, then you should be fine and you'll need to update Windows to help keep your PC working good and free from malware etc.

Post back and let us know, we're here to help! :thumbsup:

EDIT: You could also download the sound drivers from a computer that works (like a friends house or work) and burn them to a cd or put them on a memory stick (aka thumb drive), then take them home and install them. You can do the same for malware programs, too. This is a work around you not being able to download things from the internet on the "problem" computer.

Edited by stevealmighty, 01 March 2007 - 01:18 PM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 cautiouz

cautiouz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

:thumbsup: stevealmight..Im sorry I didnt make myself clear

I had sound and was able hear sound until I deleted the Glacier Trojan. Once the trojan was removed, Sounds & Audio Devices revealed "NO AUDIO DEVICE" :flowers:

I am able to download but not able to install.. thats what Im trying to say. (I can only install certain programs. (i.e., so far, I can not install, ulead gif animator, wndows xpsp2, microsoft visual studio)

\ Profile of This Computer

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition (build 2600) ECS P4S5A 1.0
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ECS P4S5A 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
Drives Memory Modules c,d
40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
29.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Polaroid 24X CD-RW DRIVE [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400BB-00DEA0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAD12655903, rev 05.03E05, SMART Status: Healthy 256 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 256 MB
Slot '1' is Empty
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 40.01 GB 29.59 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
K.Antrican 3/1/2007 4:18:01 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator 1/24/2003 2:24:41 PM (admin)
ASPNET never
Guest 2/10/2007 1:28:06 PM
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account hp psc 1310 series on USB001

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
SiS PCI IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [Display adapter]
COMPAQ FS7600 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n CNN509465Q, February 2005)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2x) Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
Creative SBLive! Gameport
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
SiS 7012 Audio Driver
Standard Game Port
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Communications Other Devices
Lucent Win Modem
Standard 56000 bps Modem
Standard 56000 bps Modem #2

SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
primary Auto IP Address: 216.196.135.44 / 21
Gateway: 216.196.128.1
Dhcp Server: 72.49.80.1
Physical Address: 00:07:95:51:DD:70

Networking Dns Servers: 216.68.4.10
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
USB Root Hub (2x)
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
No details available

I do have an anti virus AVG

tHANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE

Edited by cautiouz, 01 March 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

It sounds like you have remnants of that virus still on your computer. You need to use more than one program to find the problem. You also should have your registry cleaned out. I'm sure remnants of the virus are still there too.

After using the scanning programs, and if you delete any more bad crap, just go to the Device Manager, and delete the references of your sound card, then reboot. Windows will find default drivers to get your sound back, and from there, just install your SoundBlaster driver files.

If all else fails, then you should post a HJT log.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

Sorry I misunderstood your original post cautiouz. You should still take my advice and the advice of Walkman and continue to scan your computer. Virus's and trojans are (obviously) bad, and can really take a toll on a system. If you're still having issues after the removal of the virus, then chances are (like Walkman said) that you're machine is still feeling the effects of the trojan, and that you'll need to really clean it out. Posting in the HJT area is a good idea.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 cautiouz

cautiouz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:47 AM

It sounds like you have remnants of that virus still on your computer. You need to use more than one program to find the problem. You also should have your registry cleaned out. I'm sure remnants of the virus are still there too.

After using the scanning programs, and if you delete any more bad crap, just go to the Device Manager, and delete the references of your sound card, then reboot. Windows will find default drivers to get your sound back, and from there, just install your SoundBlaster driver files.

If all else fails, then you should post a HJT log.

thanks you for responding to this post, Mr. Walkman!

In reference to paragraph #1, I hae been running several programs on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day. Here is a list of those programs I run during the course of the day:

Superantispyware, XoffSpy SE, CCleaner, Spyhunter, Ad-Aware SE pro, Trojan Hunter, ATF Cleaner, REgVac, Sting260, WindowsKB 890830

And yes, I am constantly removing crap. It would appear as though the firewall that Im using - Ashampoo - and my antivirus AVG are NOT doing their job :flowers: I will run a Google Search and find what I can use to clean my registry out with :thumbsup:

In reference to paragraph #2, Im afraid I dont understand. You say I should go into the Device Manager and delete sound card references? You also stated Windows will find the default drivers (not sound card references - unless they are the same?) after rebooting. I don't get the part about having to install the SoundBlaster driver files especially if Windows will find the default drivers. Its just that I have a terrible fear of deleting something in hopes that Windows will replace it when Windows isn't even allowing me to install simple programs. :inlove:

OH well, I guess I will run my security softwares again and just post a HJT log

Thanks guys,,, your sweetness is my weakness! :trumpet: :cool:

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

I will run a Google Search and find what I can use to clean my registry out with

I use CCLEANER. While others would say that unless your an advanced user, you shouldn't tinker with your registry (and I do agree), I've been using this program for quite some time now (well over a year) with no problems. Start Ccleaner, click on Issues to the left, then click on Scan for issues at the bottom. It will most likely find some issues. Now click Fix selected issues. It'll ask if you want to make a back up of the registry, click yes and remember where you saved it to. IMHO, one could use this without causing harm to their computer as I have for quite some time now.

In reference to paragraph #2, Im afraid I dont understand. You say I should go into the Device Manager and delete sound card references? You also stated Windows will find the default drivers (not sound card references - unless they are the same?) after rebooting. I don't get the part about having to install the SoundBlaster driver files especially if Windows will find the default drivers. Its just that I have a terrible fear of deleting something in hopes that Windows will replace it when Windows isn't even allowing me to install simple programs.

Click on Start, Settings, Control panel. Now click on System and a window will pop up. Now click on the Hardware tab then click on Device Manager to open up another window. Find your sound card under Sound, Video and Game controllers. Right click on your soundcard (right on the text) and click "Uninstall". Windows will uninstall your sound card. Now, restart your computer, and when it launches windows, windows should automatically install the drivers for the sound card. If you have a disk, then tell windows that you want it installed from a disc.

If this fails, then I'd promptly go to the HJT area and make a post :thumbsup:

Hope this helps!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users