Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes Freezing My Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 R3dd0g

R3dd0g

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:42 AM

I have an AMD64 3000+ running WindowsXP SP2 Home edition. Recently I installed itunes 7.0.2.16, imported some CDs, purchased and downloaded a TV show from Itunes and everything was working great. I then upgraded Trend Micro Internet Security 2006 to 2007. After the installation of Trend Micro, I launched itunes and got an “itunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. I sent an error report to Microsoft, rebooted the machine and itunes launched fine. Later that week I purchased a season pass for a TV show and that’s when I ran into my first problem. As the first download was completing, my computer froze during the “Processing File” phase. I had no mouse functions, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, no nothing. I did a hard reboot and resumed the download only to have the computer freeze again. I uninstalled Tend Micro and reinstalled the 2006 version. This didn’t correct the problem so I reinstalled 2007. I booted into safe mode, opened itunes and resumed the download. It started the entire download over again but processed fine and saved it to my library. It also successfully downloaded several other episodes. I rebooted to normal mode and contacted itunes support. Their advice was to uninstall and reinstall itunes and quicktime. Thinking Trend Micro might be the culprit, I disabled the Anti-spyware protection service based on other users having had problems with it slowing down their systems and using alot of their CPU Resources. The next couple of downloads went fine, but the one after that froze. That’s when I decided to try apples fix and reinstall itunes. Things went from bad to worse. After the reinstall if I even click on an m4v file to watch it on my computer, the computer freezes and requires a hard reset. Using msconfig I found that itunes runs fine with all services running except Windows Audio Service (audiosrv.dll) The movies play fine as long as Windows Audio is stopped (albeit without sound). As soon as the service is restarted, the computer freezes when the movie is started. The CDs I imported are unaffected by the service. They seem to run fine. I don’t know if disabling Windows Audio Service will stop the download freezes but I’ll find out as soon as the next episode is available. Any assistance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 R3dd0g

R3dd0g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:33 AM

Update:

I was able to download the newest episode with all services running except Windows Audio and Trend Micro Protection against spyware. Next episode I will keep Trend Micro started and just stop the audio service. If it freezes I will know there is a problem with both services.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

Thank you for letting us know about this...all to often people post a problem and then post again saying "nevermind, I fixed it". Letting everyone know how you fixed something will help others in the future!

Please post back if you figure anything else out!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 R3dd0g

R3dd0g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:45 AM

A week has passed, another episode was available for download from itunes which meant troubleshooting could go forward. I decided to keep the Trend Micro protection against spyware service running and just stop the Windows Audio Service. The download completed fine. I while I was synching my ipod and loading some photos, Trend Micro came up and started to do a virus scan. Lo and behold it crashed. I sent an error report to Microsoft via the handy dandy send error report button and continued working with my ipod. When I was finished I tried to do another virus scan. It too failed. A dialog box appeared saying the scan could not complete. Tried it a third time and got the same results. On a hunch I restarted Windows audio service and tried the scan. Guess what? It ran fine. So it appears that when Windows Audio Service is started, Trend Micro runs fine but Itunes doesn't. When Windows Audio Service is stopped, Itunes runs fine (albiet without sound) and Trend Micro doesn't. Wierd.
Now I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to software, but I don't see why a Virus/Spyware scanner would be dependent on a Sound Service. So I stopped the audio service, renamed Audiosrv.dll to Audiosrv.old and tried to copy a new file from a different computer. Windows asked me if I wanted to replace the the existing file. According to my thinking there shouldn't be anything to replace because I renamed it. So I rebooted the computer and copied it again. Again I was asked if I wanted to replace the existing. A quick check of the System32 directory confirmed that I had two audiosrv files, one .old that I renamed and one .dll that mysteriously appeared again. So I deleted both files and rebooted the computer. Checked the System32 folder and found audiosrv.dll. So either the Windows kernel is re-creating the file, or some other program is, perhaps Trend Micro.
This morning I tried to duplicate the Trend Micro crash by stopping the Windows Audio service and running a scan. Guess What? The scan ran fine. Opened Itunes and ran a scan. It too ran fine. So now needless to say I'm completely stumped. So if anyone has any insight on either the mysteriously reappearing audiosrv.dll file, or Trend Micro crashing after an successfully Itunes download until Windows Audio service was restarted, please clue me in.

Sorry for the long post

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:59 AM

Now I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to software, but I don't see why a Virus/Spyware scanner would be dependent on a Sound Service.

First thing that comes to mind is that there is a sound event associated with an action within the program itself. You should be able to shut them off somewhere within the program via a preferences, settings or similar menu.

#6 R3dd0g

R3dd0g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:47 AM

Fate has a funny way of solving problems. I decided to run the index.dat suite and defrag tool to clean up the system a little bit. The index.dat batch file took a lot longer to run and received a lot of "file not found" and "access denied" errors. Rebooted the sytem and got a black screen with a message saying it couldn't find NTLDR. :thumbsup: I figured that was a good excuse to nuke the partition and start fresh. I used partimage to lay down a fresh image of WindowsXP and applications (man I love that program), upgraded to Internet Security 2007 and then loaded itunes. Problems with itunes seem to have resolved themselves on a fresh install. It would have been much more satisfying to track the problem down and fix it, but the fresh install made me realize how sluggish the system had been running. Now if I can only figure out what made the Index.dat suite batch file go berzerk. Trend Micro and AVG both said it was free from virus' and spyware. Neither Rootkit Revealer nor Icesword had detected any root kits, so I can only chalk it up to the computer gods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users