Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery Conditioning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vancreef

vancreef

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:35 AM

a friend of mine recommended letting the battery on my laptop run completely flat to condition it. is there anything in particular i should know before i just switch it on and leave it running? i know its a good thing to do to restore the "memory" of a rechargable battery but is it as straight forward as that when it comes to something like a laptop and how often should this be done? Should i wait until i notice a difference in battery life or is it too late then? i know that desktops don't like their power supply being shut off without warning and this seems a similar thing. will the laptop shut itself down before the battery goes completely or will it be OK so long as it isn't actually logged on to Windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

Depending on the type of battery you have there may be no need to condition it. Voltage depression only really affects nickel cadmium batteries. Nickel metal hydride batteries are very rarely affected by voltage depression and lithium-ion batteries are not affected at all. Most newer laptops have either nickel metal hydride or lithium-ion batteries.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 vancreef

vancreef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:09 AM

it says underneath that it is a lithium battery, but doesn't say it's a lithium-ion, or is it the same and i'm just stupid?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:20 AM

It's the same thing. Standard lithium batteries are not re-chargeable, so if it's in a laptop it's a lithium-ion.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 azhariqbal

azhariqbal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

It's the same thing. Standard lithium batteries are not re-chargeable, so if it's in a laptop it's a lithium-ion.

I agree with 'Budapest"
Azhar Iqbal
Cell: 92345-3006911
Email: azhar-5i@hotmail.com
Web: http://www.arbico.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users