Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jpg To Animation

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 phiz

phiz

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:33 AM

Hi there

All I want to do is make the photo's I have taken with my digital camera and stored on my pc into an animation to either view on my pc or burn to disk.

I am not very computer literate and the descriptions of some software sends my head reeling. I have movie maker with my pc and have made a couple of attempts but I just can't seem to get it quite right.

I think out there somewhere is a pretty simple programme just waiting for me but I'm damned if I can find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

Try this free program.

Photo SlideShow Maker 1.0

It should do what you need - although I've never used it myself.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:55 AM

As an alternative download Picasa2. It is easy and you can do some fab things with it considering it is free.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

Are you referring to a slide show type of presentation, or actual animation? The latter would have to be created much like a cartoon.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

To add to what jgweed said,

You would have to convert the .jpg images into .gif images then animate from there, because you can't animate .jpg in the format .jpg.

#6 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hi and thank you for your replies.

What I do is take photos of plastacine things and move them one frame at a time, all I want to do is play them back at speed so its like a mini movie. The Picasa one seems to have what I need but comes with so much other stuff that I don't.

thanks again

Edited by phiz, 01 March 2007 - 11:50 AM.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Hi and thank you for your replies.

What I do is take photos of plastacine things and move them one frame at a time, all I want to do is play them back at speed so its like a mini movie.

thanks again

For the most part, the post no#5 is what you'll need to do.

If you're going to animate your pictures and put them on disc, you can do it in .avi, .jpg, .mpg, etc format...... but according to your last post, you'll want to get a animation program, load your pictures in them and let it convert and animate them for you. The whole process will only be a few moments or so to convert .... depending on how long the animation is going to be.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

Convert each image you take from .jpg format to .gif format.
This can be done with most image editing programs.
I use IrfanView.

Once they are converted, use a program like UnFREEz to combine the individual images into an animation.
Directions on how to use UnFREEz can be found in the second post of this topic:
Resizing An Animated Gif
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:20 AM

Please excuse me if I am being really computer illiterate here, but when I looked at UnFREEz it says take files from windows explorer and play in web browser.

I was not intending to use the internet for this at all just turn pc on and use for fun and if I do any good ones burn them on to a cd to watch on my tv.

Maggie :thumbsup: :flowers:

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

If you use Nero, I'm thinking it would do it for you. I don't use it any more, so I can't help you on that.

But if all you want to do is make a slide show of your images and such, I would suspect the programs mentioned here would do the job for you.

According to the web site posted by tg1911, UnFREEz should work for you.. even if you are going to put them on disc. (Thanks for the link tg1911)

But either way you do it, more than likely it'll be a more-than-one-process to do.

My daughter gave me a digital camera/camcorder this past Christmas, and i have loads of pictures... and I'm going to see what's the best method of turning pictures into slide shows. This will be a new venture for me.

The bottom line for you is that you want to be able to put them on cd and watch on tv... right?... Hopefully I'll have an exact answer for you this weekend, but keep on looking about, and if you find anything definite that works for you, please post here so others can learn about it.

Also, if it's going to be for your own home use, I would suggest you go spend approximately $40(USD) and buy a DivX player. They play everything your dvd player plays.... but your dvd player can't play everything a DivX player can play. It's well worth the money. Regular dvd players are now obsolete.

#11 kaialii

kaialii

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:53 AM

Hi phiz:

This is probably what you are looking for:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jpgvideo.html
The site says it will convert jpegs of the same size to avi.

This technique is called stop-motion animation.
here's more information for you.
http://www.photojojo.com/content/tutorials...digital-camera/

Enjoy!
kaialii

#12 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

Thank you kaialii

Have downloaded snapfiles and will give it a go, sounds like exactly what I am after.

Will let you all know how it goes.

Maggie

#13 phiz

phiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:46 AM

Well it didn't go ....

Probably me but when I tried to open it I just got a grey box telling me unable to run application so I gave up and deleted it, shame cos it sounded just right.

Well will keep looking and trying things, I am damned if this will beat me, one way or another I am gonna get what I am after.

With all the technology about it seems so simple to want to take photos then play them in order really fast so they look like they are moving?!?!?! Perhaps too simple eh?

Thanks to you all, will keep popping back here to see if anything else comes up.

May even try UnFREEZe, although it sounds a bit too much for my pathetic computer skills.

Cheers

Maggie

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

Using UnFREEz, is really not that hard.
It just looks complicated.
Do it once, and the second time is even easier.
Here's a quick how to:

Make a copy of your images to work with.
That way, you will always have a copy of the originals.

Make sure all of your images are the same size.
Convert your copies from .jpg to .gif.
Here's a tutorial, showing how to do that:
Changing An Image's File Type Using Ifranview

Once the images are converted, rename them (animation_000, animation_001, animation_002, animation_003, etc.).
Here's a tutorial on how to do that:
Batch Renaming Using Irfanview
This tutorial also includes a short video, so you can see the steps involved.

NOTE: The folowing steps can be found, in more detail, in the tutorial I linked you to in post #8, above:
Resizing An Animated Gif
Follow this link, and go to post #2.

Open the file containing the converted, and renamed images.
Grab the bottom of the window, and drag it up.
This is to make room for UnFREEz, to be placed underneath it.
Open UnFREEz, and drag it under the window containing your images.
Click the first image (animation_000) to highlight it.
Hold the Shift key, and click the last image.
This will highlight all of the images.
Grab (left click, and hold the mouse button down) the first image (animation_000), and drag it into the open window of UnFREEz, then release the mouse button.
All of your images have been loaded into UnFREEz.
Put a check next to the Loop animation box if you want your animation to keep replaying, over and over.
Set the Frame delay (1, will give you a frame delay of 1/100 of a second, so an entry of 100, equals 1 second).
Click the Make Animated GIF button.
Another window will open, in which you will be able to name, and pick a place to save your animation.

That's all there is to it.
Sounds a lot harder, than what it really is. :thumbsup:
Just read the UnFREEz tutorial, and watch the video,
If you have any questions about any of these steps, just ask.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 kaialii

kaialii

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:40 PM

Hi phiz:

I'm not sure what you did or didn't do, it worked for me.

Here's the specs for my Micron Transport NX:
400MHz Intel Pentium II processor
192MB RAM
400 MB on target drive

Stills were shot with a Canon 30D to small JPEG files and uploaded to folder on target drive. Ran JPGVideo, clicked on configure to set JPG Directory (where source images are located), output directory (where avi will be saved), and I set frames per second to 4 (to stretch 45 shots). After clicking run, the program allows you to pick a codec, I picked Indeo Video 5.06 and set quality to 50% and clicked OK. After it finished I had the following result:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/kai...nt=JPGVideo.flv

Let me know if you can view my little animation, it's the first time I'm sharing a video/animation with anyone.
kaialii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users