Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

Please help I am going to erase my laptop because it is too slow but I do not know what to do.

I do not know anything including what cd's to use, how to backup my files, and how long it takes

Please give me as much detail as possible thanks.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

Welcome to BC!!!!!

To back my stuff up I do it over the network. but if you dont have a network make a folder Called Backup on your desktop and put all of your files in it. Then copy to a Flash Drive, Floppy, CD, etc.

As for the re-install of your OS give your computer details:

Brand: (Who made your computer dell, hp, ibm etc.
OS: What operations system is it xp home, xp pro, media center etc.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

The first thing that you want to do is make sure that you have the disc for you operating system and the proper product code. If you have that then you're ready to start.

First back up all the files that you want to save, you can do this as described in the previous post or use a program like Nero to transfer your files to a CD or DVD. The DVD has a much larger capacity.

To do a proper wipe of the hdd you will need a program like Wipe Drive. After you download the Drive Wipe you will need to make a CD of this to boot from. Before you start this you will need to go into the BIOS and make your CD-ROM the first device in the boot order, this will enable the computer to boot from the Drive Wipe CD. Place the CD into the CD drive and the next time you turn on the computer it will boot to the Drive wipe program, there it will give you the option to overwrite the OS. Hard drives 40GB to 60GB will usually take about thirty minutes to an hour to complete, a large on like a 200GB will take upwards of six hours.

After you have wiped the drive you are ready to install the OS, the CD will prompt you to format and partition the drive prior to installing the OS.

Have fun.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:25 PM

Is there anything else I can use to backup my files? Would a DVD be enough? I don't have any DVD's and I have a lot to backup. Anything else I can use to backup? Would the backup option given in "system tools" work?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

I back up a lot of my stuff to thumb drives aka flash drives.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:30 AM

I back up a lot of my stuff to thumb drives aka flash drives.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

I do too. If you have another computer you could transfer the files to, do that. Also how big is what you need to backup?

EDIT: I just remembered HP brand computers have a System Recovery Feature that will let you erase all the programs on your computer without losing Docs/Vids/Music etc.

Edited by Matthew Alan, 02 March 2007 - 01:32 AM.

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

This may be a silly question, but why would you want to wipe the drive and then re-format and partition? Wouldn't re-formating just erase all files anyway? :thumbsup:

#8 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

yeah i figured some stuff out but i need to reinstall windows xp how do i set the "bios" so that cd rom is before hard drive if you know what i mean

i am just restarting the partition now by the way
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

Read your Computer mfg's owner's manual to determine how to access the BIOS screen. Usually you tap an "F" type key. Like F12 or whatever.

Put the Windows XP CD in the drive and reboot the computer.
Tap the appropriate key to get into the Bios menu.
Select to boot from the CD from the drop down menu.
Hit Enter. When you see a message "Press any key to boot from the CD...", do so.

Setup will begin.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#10 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

thanks and this will erase all my files without using my hp recovery disks
is this correct?

oh and by the way i intend to save my files to another computer and restore them afterwards
my computer will be a lot faster after this erase and after i restore my files right? because it is pretty slow now and i have scanned for viruses and spyware and all i found were some tracking cookies which means it is the registry that is the problem even though i have ccleaner.

so my computer will be a lot faster right?

Edited by nyyanks, 02 March 2007 - 05:31 PM.

Albert Einstein

Not really!

#11 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:28 PM

thanks and this will erase all my files without using my hp recovery disks
is this correct?

oh and by the way i intend to save my files to another computer and restore them afterwards
my computer will be a lot faster after this erase and after i restore my files right? because it is pretty slow now and i have scanned for viruses and spyware and all i found were some tracking cookies which means it is the registry that is the problem even though i have ccleaner.

so my computer will be a lot faster right?

I wouldnt say alot. Yes you should be able to tell a difference, because you wont have as many programs running/stored.

#12 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

so i have an hp notebook would my computer be faster if i only reinstalled windows xp or if i installed the system recovery disks that came with it as well?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#13 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

o yeah i got another problem i am transferring my laptop files (about 7 gb) to my new computer so that i can transfer them back after i erase my laptop

anyway my friend gave me these instructions:
in laptop go to my computer drive c right click properties sharing enable sharing go to run "cmd" now put in ipconfig/all
copy down the ip address go to the new computer go to run type in \\(my ip address parentheses are not included obviously)

the computer tells me that network is not found! I have a linksys wireless router and i connected my laptop to the router via ethernet cable and it failed. I even tried to use my wireless usb - failed! how can i fix this? i really want to finish this by this weekend so please help!
Albert Einstein

Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users