Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doing The Back-up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hello Folks!!!

What does one do when the back-up file generated by WinXP-Home exceeds a DVD capacity?

The internal "back-up" program generates a file that is saved to say the desktop and then a separate program, "Sonic", copies it to the burner. Usually "my documents and settings" is selected. Can/do you break it up and how?

What is the difference between "copying and pasting" to the burner??....The internal program does NOT seem to be able to handle it??...Why....? I would be somewhat happy if I could just copy "My Documents" in pieces if THAT would exceed the limit.

Getting VEEEERY close to the limit.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

You are using the Windows Backup and Restore program right?
Try switching to Advanced Mode on the first window and you may get more options to backup selected items.

When I used to use CD's to copy backups onto,it stopped and let me insert another CD when the first one was full.
But it sounds like you have waaay too much data to use that method.

You could invest in an external hard drive and use it solely for safely storing your backup data.They aren't very expensive....about $100. for a 250GB capacity.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

Without actually doing a backup right now, Advanced mode appears to allow you to "selectively" pick what you want to backup. Perhaps in an attempt to keep it under the 4.7 GB.

BUT...you indicated that it would stop when a disc would be full and allow you to insert another disc. Perhaps that has nothing to do with the Advanced mode and it will allow it even in regular mode.

I suppose I will try the regular way when I get above the limit and see if it allows me to use 2 discs. Then, if not, I will try it in the Advanced mode.

The External Hard Drive is definitely on the table for a viable option. That would cure all evils in a single swoop....

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

I never had to it this way, but if you haven't done it yet, I would suggest trying it in Advanced mode...

You may not have any idea how long it may take to burn 4.7G worth of data.... then have to do it all over again?.. because you don't have enough room? Go with the Advanced mode.

#5 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:30 AM

Yeah....I hear ya loud and clear!!!!......lol

Question...SO you can "over select- i. e. over 4.7GB" in advanced mode and it will prompt you when to insert another disk when the 1st one is full??......

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:41 AM

I think what Walkman was meaning was if you choose the Advanced Mode,select what you what to back up and hopefully keep it under the 4.7GB.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

Gotcha....TY

You can always just backup "My Documents" but that is the lions share of the usage anyway though and is not the proper thing to do.

An external hard drive clears up the entire issue......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users