Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A+ Guide To Managing & Maintaining Your Pc ( Questions )

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

Well i have a computer class which i need to do a hw and have to read around 100+ pages and i just need find 1 answer >.< Hope you guys know it :thumbsup:

Book : A+ Guide To Managing & Maintaining Your PC ( Sixth Edition )

Question

When installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a notebook computer, why is it important to use an AC adapter rather than a battery during the installation ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

I don't know what the book says, but if the computer lost power during installation, it would be a bad, bad thing.

Bad.

Very bad.

Well, not that bad. But bad.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:41 PM

Losing power is bad, as Andrew said, and it will happen faster because using the CD drive on a laptop wears out the battery faster (about twice as fast, by my guess). Also on some newer laptops (like my sis's ThinkPad) there are option for system performance when on battery and AC and sometimes the computer actually has better performance with AC in.

Most laptop batteries don't lost longer than 2 and a half hours. With the CD drive running, thats cut to about an hour and a half or so. The average Windows installation is about...more than that, lol.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

I don't think the XP setup program will lt you install on a battery.

#5 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

Oh thx for the help. I was readying the book but couldnt find it >.<

Well i will use this thread for another question if i need :thumbsup: I hope you guys don't mind :D

#6 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

Well as everyone else said, "IT would be bad, it woulnt let you." Ect.
What i think you should be using an AC adapter is because of battery life, if you don't have a battery that lasts for about 3:30-5Hrs; you have to use an AC adapter. If it were to die, it would corrupt the new files, alot of the old files if it was an upgrade, and possibly make it so you always get the BSOD. It will make you :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

In installed a beta of Vista on a cross country plane trip - and the battery failed twice. I still was able to work the installation but it had problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

Here is another question. Maybe you guys can't really figure it out >.<

When you are trying to determine if your Window 2000 computer can support Windows XP, list the steps to know how much RAM is currently installed

Edited by EdDyWuu, 01 March 2007 - 04:02 PM.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

With regards to your question, I would right click on my computer and select properties wait for the screen to load and it will give you the info including RAM ammounts.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

Is it that simple answer ? Damn i know myself but didn't know it was like that xD Thx !

#11 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

Here is another question

Which version of Window XP must be installed on a system that is using the Intel Itanium Processor ? Why ?

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

this short article should help you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_64-bit_Edition

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#13 EdDyWuu

EdDyWuu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

nigglesnush85 - Thanks . That helped me.

Well i will try to solve others one myself. IF i need something, i will come here ;) If you guys don't mind :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users