Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts, Crashes And Hangs... What Is Going On?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glyxe

glyxe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hi everyone, I think I posted this in the wrong forum last time, so here it is again,

I need help pretty desperately, my computer has surpassed my level of knowledge in what its doing lately.

I'm usually not too bad at sorting my computer out and can usually manage to deal with the problem, but recently it has been acting all strange. I'm afraid I've got more than one problem and I'm not entirely sure what they are.

Help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

The problem started after I got a new monitor (GNR TS902W) and portable hard drive (WDXMS1200) for my birthday. In my excitement plugged them both straight in and after installing them they seemed to work fine.
I say fine, but the monitor would turn on for about 10 seconds and then turn off, even though the LED was lit. I spent ages unplugging and plugging it in, turning it on and off, and notice that there was an image on the screen when it was on, it was just as if the backlight wasn't working properly. After more tinkering, the monitor turned on, and stayed on... a process I repeat every time I turn my computer on or take it off stand-by.
I think the problem is either that the backlight needs time to warm up, or there is some underlying error with the drivers and the installation.

That said, the new screen and hard drive combination inspired me to update the drivers and other related software, for the rest of the PC. I keep my system fairly up-to-date anyway, so I figured it wouldn't take long to update certain areas that get neglected.
These updates included the microsoft recommended updates, windows media player 10,windows defender and driver updates for my graphics card, sound card and network card.
I think that might be everything I did but I can't remember exactly as this all started on the 12th Feb.

Somewhere in between me doing all of this, and me trying to fix the problems that I have yet to explain, my PC has ended up in its current state.

Along with the monitor problem, it has been doing the following:

-> It resets itself often and does this at seemingly random times. I've think I've noticed that this occurs when the computer is executing a task (such as downloading stuff, saving work, etc.) but I'm not entirely sure.

->I'm guessing the same error is also causing the BSOD to show its ugly face, but the error specified varies.

->The most recent addition to these is that it has begun to hang, and beaten these three, it makes it difficult for me to do any work.

As I said, I'm not sure if the errors are caused by hardware or software. I was thinking maybe this could be cause by problems with the RAM or the CPU.
This led me to believe that a virus of some sort was using all the memory and processing power thus overloading the system when trying to do a meaningful task. However, I'm not sure if that is possible, it's plain speculation, spurred on by AVG saying a word document I had written myself had a virus but then re-scan said that it wasn't. :S

There was also an error box that popped up in windows at start-up for a while, but rolling back the graphics card driver took care of that.
It said: DEVS:Shell: Calling get root key before nview.dll is loaded

Well, that is probably everything I can tell you about my problem, I hope someone can help.

Here's some info that might be useful:

Mod edit: HijackThis log removed, see post #3--PK

I've also done a Belarc Advisor scan, which I can email along with error information from Event Viewer.

If you can't help, no worries.... but if you can, please do, I'm at the end my tether and need to use my PC for university.

Thanks again.

Edited by Papakid, 01 March 2007 - 11:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:04 PM

Try this to get down to things:
Go to Start -> Run then type in "msconfig" (without quotes) and on the main screen uncheck Load Startup Items. Restart your computer and it should start with minimal options. Go about your normal business and see if you still get hung up, reset, BSOD, ect with this. If you do, reply with what you were doing if there were any messages when it happened and if the BSOD does show up, post what the error was. Also, how much RAM do you have in your computer?

NOTE: When you restart after using msconfig, you will get a popup that tell you that you used the program to change the way windows starts, just check not to lauch the tool and to not show this message when Windows starts.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi glyxe,

Since your log was also posted here in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, which is the only appropriate place to post a HJT log, your log in this post has been removed. This is to protect you from unauthorized, ineffective and sometimes dangerous advice being given on how to use HijackThis. Please only post logs in the Analysis forum.

This topic was also removed from public view because of it being a duplicate and for other reasons. But since your issue does not appear to be malware related, this forum is the best place to get help, so it is being reopened for that purpose.

From just a quick reading of your problem, I would say you need to start rolling back the drivers that you updated, but I regrettably don't have the time at the moment to give more detailed help and troubleshooting advice. I'm sure better will be forthcoming form the rest of the community.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users