Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seamus24

seamus24

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:22 PM

I'm running XP Pro sp2 on a soyo dragon motherboard, AMD Athalon XP 2400 and 768 MB of Ram.
Whenever I try to open system restore I get the following error msg.
An exception occurred while trying to run "C\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDll" C\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
Anybody got any ideas? I've got a clean system and would like to set a restore point.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

Try reinstalling System Restore.

Note: this will erase any prior restore points!

You may need your XP Service Pack 2 installation disk for this. If your disk is not Service Pack 2 refer to the folder mentioned below.

Go to Start then click Run...

paste the following command into the Run.. box:

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf

Press <enter>

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists. For systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Download from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. The retail version of Windows XP (SP2) also contains the latest version of the files needed.

These are the files needed to perform the reinstall:

FILE NAME:
FILELIST.XML
RSTRUI.EXE
SR.SYS
SRCLIENT.DLL
SRDIAG.EXE
SRFRAME.MMF
SRRSTR.DLL
SRSVC.DLL
SRVSVC.DLL
SP2 VERSION #:

When done, reboot. Check System Restore. If after reinstalling System Restore this error message is recieved, System restore was unable to start due to a missing Framedyn.dll. Please reinstall the application to fix this problem. then post back here for further help.

Credit where credit is due, the above info was found at http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 28 February 2007 - 07:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users