Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Address Problems With Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 poo-man

poo-man

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

hello, i have had problems recently with my pc where it all of a sudden will not allow me access to the internet and for some reason it will automatically give it a private address even when it is all set up for DHCP. Now I thought it might be my router as its old and rubbish, so i bought a new linksys wag54gs. All seemed ok, but it is doing it again now... i am writing this message because it has decided to work fine for a couple of minutes (which makes it even stranger). I have looked at the event logger and have copied and pasted some of the messages (errors/warnings) below:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 28/02/2007
Time: 17:02:25
User: DEFAULT\Administrator
Computer: DEFAULT
Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1003
Time: 17:02:34
User: N/A
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001150C4413B. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: c7 04 00 00 ...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Tcpip
Event ID: 4201
Time: 17:02:39
Description:
The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{4700313C-94A4-49C5-8F37-F041ED7AB6D8} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 ....i..@
0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1003
Time: 17:03:08
Description:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001150C4413B. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Data:
0000: 79 00 00 00 y...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Tcpip
Event ID: 4202
Time: 17:13:20
Description:
The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{4700313C-94A4-49C5-8F37-F041ED7AB6D8} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
0008: 00 00 00 00 6a 10 00 40 ....j..@
0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I do not know where all or none of these are down to the problem, but I have searched everywhere on the net and have not been able to rectify this problem. I have spoken with my ISP and they say everything is fine at their end. When I reboot, it might work or it might not and I just have to keep trying. Oh and I recently re-stalled windows (2 days ago) because I thought it was something to do with the tcp/ip stack (i got that info from reading the net).

This is my first problem post and I hope everything is ok.

Many thanks for your help
James

Edited by poo-man, 28 February 2007 - 01:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

First thing to check is for malware - try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

Next will be to check your network device and it's drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 poo-man

poo-man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

Ok, I am trying the malware scan now and I will let you know. Could it be malware even if I re-installed windows a couple of days ago?

Thanks

#4 poo-man

poo-man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:22 AM

ok, usasma, I have run the scanner. It cleaned the registry and deleted some temp files. It did not come up with anything else.

I know you mentioned checking some network stuff. Can you offer some adive on how to do this as I am a bit amatuer in that area.

Thanks

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

First download the latest version of the driver from the manufacturer's website, then try uninstalling your network card drivers (in Control Panel if possible, if not try the Drivers tab in Device Manager) - then install the latest version that you downloaded from the manufacturer's web site.

Then rerun the Network Connection and Network Setup Wizards to get connected. It'd help to have another computer handy in case you can't get back on the web during this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 poo-man

poo-man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

Ok, I do not have another pc handy, so it might be tough. Just another question though, Im not questioning your knowledge, but I have just installed a belkin usb wireless adapter on this PC, so would those drivers need looking at? Plus, the linksys gateway/router was also only installed a day ago... I bought these two items hoping it would fix the problem. Would you still recommend updating drivers etc as the problem has existed before and after the new installations.

Thanks for your help so far!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

You'll need a single way to connect to the web - don't try and use multiple methods until you've ironed out the main connection. The easiest connection to use is to connect straight to your modem from the PC in question - this'll eliminate any problems that may be caused by the router (but be advised that you won't have the protection of the built in firewall on the router - so only use this as a Temporary troubleshooting tool).

Don't start messing with the wireless yet, use the wired connection first. Unplug all the extra stuff and delete their Network connections. Normally, you'll be able to connect without issue (although, if you ISP keys on your MAC address, you may want to use the device that the MAC address is assigned to (most likely your router).

Have you called your ISP to ensure that the new router (actually the MAC address) is registered with their network? Also, they may be able to assist you over the pnone with connection issues.

Once you've got the wired connection up and running - then add one piece at a time and test to make sure both the old method and the new method work. If they don't, then revert back to the previous configuration and try to figure out where the new one went bad.

Most of these problems are solved by deleting all the network stuff (to include the devices) and then reinstalling and resetting up the network. It's a bit "overkill" - but you can spend weeks troubleshooting network connections only to find out it's just one little thing that did it. So, it's much easier to just redo everything in order to get a good connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users