Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power On For 3 Seconds, Then Switches Off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Corbin1414

Corbin1414

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

Hey everyone. The posts here seem well informed, so I will try my best.... :flowers:

I came in this morning to find my computer off. I never turn it off, so this was odd.

I try turning it on, and I get the fans to spin, but it turns off right away again. After that, the power button is unresponsive. I try replugging it, switching outlets and chords, and it turns on again in the same fashion immediately when I plug it in (no power button touched) But it turns off again anyway

I have opened it up and cleaned the dust (not much there anyhow), but it still has the same problem.

I am running XP Pro, ASRock K7S41GX mobo, 300w PSU. Unsure of processor.

It has been running fine for almost 3 years, and I did not recently install anything.

Thanks in advance all. :thumbsup:

Edited by Corbin1414, 28 February 2007 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 919263

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:16 PM

Hey everyone. The posts here seem well informed, so I will try my best.... :flowers:

I came in this morning to find my computer off. I never turn it off, so this was odd.

I try turning it on, and I get the fans to spin, but it turns off right away again. After that, the power button is unresponsive. I try replugging it, switching outlets and chords, and it turns on again in the same fashion immediately when I plug it in (no power button touched) But it turns off again anyway

I have opened it up and cleaned the dust (not much there anyhow), but it still has the same problem.

I am running XP Pro, ASRock K7S41GX mobo, 300w PSU. Unsure of processor.

It has been running fine for almost 3 years, and I did not recently install anything.

Thanks in advance all. :thumbsup:

Open, take out the RAM chips, clean the slots with some compressed air and reseat them, then try again....
The only other culprit could be the power supply, some power spike might have killed it...
Usually it is good to switch the PC off once in a while....
Let us know if this worked....

#3 Corbin1414

Corbin1414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

Well, the RAM cleaning didn't work :thumbsup:

I will take one of the power supplies out of the old computers here and see if it will work...

i will post results.

#4 Corbin1414

Corbin1414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:23 PM

Well, new power supply didn't work either.

Oh well....on a related note, can I just swap the harddrive from the poochy computer to another? Are there conflicts with the mobo to worry about? Sounds like that would be too easy for Microsoft to allow.

EDIT:

found this on a diff post ..
If you have an XP installation disc (-not- a recovery disc) and the operating system was installed from it on the old system then you can do a repair install. This will preserve the applications. However, you will need to install drivers for the new system and reinstall the XP critical updates.

Edited by Corbin1414, 28 February 2007 - 04:38 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:28 PM

Well, new power supply didn't work either.

Oh well....on a related note, can I just swap the harddrive from the poochy computer to another? Are there conflicts with the mobo to worry about? Sounds like that would be too easy for Microsoft to allow.

You can take the hdd from the dead computer and install it as a slave drive in a different computer. The jumper on the rear of the hdd will need to be placed in the slave position, and the master hdd will need its' to be in the master position. The middle connector of the IDE cable is where you attach the slave drive.

I would not put this hdd into another computer as the master, it has recognized the drivers for the motherboard of the other computer and will start looking for the drivers for the new motherboard. The OS may not survive this, it confuses the hell out of it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users