Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8 Beeps! What To Do?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stannie

stannie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hey, this has undoubtedly been covered before but seen as each problem is different i thought i would start a new thread, please dont flame me!

I just reinstalled windows and had trouble installing drivers for my ati radeon 9500, kept on giving an error message, asking me to set it up with VGA or something, then the screen occasionally goes black and sometimes goes psychadelic so i have to restart. At restart though i get 8 beeps (video problem i believe) and i cant start up the computer. Occasionally it would start but last night and this morning it will not start at all.

I have tried a friends card in my computer and it works fine, so does this mean that i need a new graphics card or do you think the motherboard is screwed?

Is there anything i can do with the old card in my computer? like are there any menus to access or boot disks to try?

Any help is appreciated, seems to be one thing after anoter going wrong with my pc!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

please dont flame me!

You should never get flamed on this forum! If you do, notify a member of the staff and they'll rectify the situation.

If a different video card is working in your computer (what video card are you replacing it with?), but not your 9500, then I'd venture a guess that you need a new card :thumbsup: , but your mobo is fine :flowers: . However, before you trash the 9500, be sure to download and install the latest drivers for it. Also, be sure that the card is seated correctly and that any and all power lines going to it are connected properly....also ensure that the power line (if the 9500 has one...I know the 9500 pro has one) is "clean", meaning that there is nothing else plugged into it--the power line should go right from the power supply to the card, and have nothing else plugged into it at all.

Once you install the drivers, you should have "menus" and "options" that you can access right from the ATI catalyst program (drivers). You can manipulate the settings to your liking :trumpet:

Check the things that I had suggested and get back to us and let us know how you made out with it all. If it's not helping, then we'll go from there.

One more thing.....you said that you had tried a friends card in your computer and it worked fine.....have you tried your card (9500) in your friends computer to see if it works or does the same thing?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users