Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Partition Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KuzuRyuuSen

KuzuRyuuSen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

Hi, I got a problem with Windows Vista when I wanted to create a new volume or extend the drive D:. It basically ask me to convert the basic drive to dynamics drive. Is there another way to create a new volume without doing that?

Here is the screenshot
Posted Image

Edited by KuzuRyuuSen, 28 February 2007 - 12:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:08 AM

A bit more detail please.

What happens when you select "New simple volume"?
What happens when you select "Properties" (I don't have Vista handy to check)

What type of file system are you trying to use (Fat32, NTFS, etc)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 KuzuRyuuSen

KuzuRyuuSen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:04 AM

when i select simple volume, everything is normal. create a new drive letter and all stuff. but in the end it asked me to convert the type from basic to dynamics. The file system is NTFS. when I open properties, it's nothing, it's basically open the hard drive properties from device manager. so my question is: why can't i use the simple one?

Edited by KuzuRyuuSen, 28 February 2007 - 09:13 AM.

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:09 PM

I want to know what happens when he Need to run a System Restore considering there is 47MB Before the Recovery partition. I hope this Gentleman has Created restores, as well as a saved backup of Files to an external drive.

Furthermore, You may have up to four Primary Partitions, Preferrably 1 with the Windows OS and usually creating and extended partition instead of Multiple Primary Partitions. This Creates a Problem.

Windows want to create a Dynamic Disk b/c it it seeing Four Primary Partitions.

A dynamic disk is typically used for RAID Arrays or Striping, not to create more that Four Primary Partitions. You need to make one Primary Partition and One Extended partition, and follow up by creating Logical Drives within the Extended Partition. Also, it appears as though someone has damaged the Recovery Partition. (The one in case your OS goes Belly UP! Drive R: should encapsulate all of the Previous 47MB of DATA.

It appears as though you are in a bit of a pickle Sir.

So to answer your question,

It basically ask me to convert the basic drive to dynamics drive. Is there another way to create a new volume without doing that?

YES, There is another, you have to start over... IE Losing ALL of your DATA and reinsatalling your OS. Make certain you have backed up your Files to an external HDD, and Make sure you have Restore Disks, BC W/O you will end up without an Operating System, and that is NOT Good.

The Reason you have to start over is b/c You Recovery Partition is Damaged, and when you fix that with the Restores It's going to Delete Everything. Also, you may want to get a copy of Norton Partition Magic and GHOST. Partition Commander is an Alternative to Partition Magic.

I hope this all makes sense to you. Good Luck

#5 KuzuRyuuSen

KuzuRyuuSen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

thanks alot man. I actually already had a feeling that I need to start over. I didn't do the partition on my new laptop, the partition was like that when I got the computer from DELL. I was thingking it was a total mess when I looked at the partition on my old laptop and desktop. The partitions weren't all primary. Each of them only has one primary and secondary with its logical drives. Guess I'll wait till summer, I really don't have time for fooling around with my new computer. I have 500GB hdd on my desktop, so i can backup my data pretty easily actually. Thanks for the clarification and your concern.

Edited by KuzuRyuuSen, 06 March 2007 - 02:42 AM.

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

NP

Glad I could be of assistance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users