Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build Custom Pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:25 AM

I'm planning on building a new PC. It will have one very specific uses, and I don't need any extra bells or whistles. I've had two PCs custom built for me, but I've never actually assembled one myself. Because of this, I don't know what to look for in hardware to ensure that it is compatible with everything else. It will be used to run an arcade cabinet/jukebox project that is currently in the works. Since this is just a hobby project, the PC must be as cheap as possible.

Minimum Specs (the rest is up to you)
AMD Processor (2.0GHz+)
NVIDIA DirectX 9 capable video card (S-Video Out Preferred)
1GB RAM
150GB+ HDD
A good PSU, there will be a ton of hardware connected to this
USB2.0, no firewire needed
Decent Sound card, good enough for a jukebox

I'll post more when I think of anything else I want. I'm just looking for some suggestions on hardware, and what I need to look for. I also don't know all the compatibility between the processor/motherboard/video card/etc. What should I look for to make sure all the parts I'm buying will work together?

Edited by .Prodigy., 28 February 2007 - 04:04 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:17 AM

You could look at something like this:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @ $90.
BIOSTAR NF61VM2 @ $55.
KVR533D2N4K2/1G @ $80.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160215A 160GB @ $55.
FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP300-60GLS-R 300W @ $40.

That makes $320. At least it is cheap.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the speedy reply, that's actually much cheaper than I was hoping for. Add a GeForce FX5200 onto there... and I'm still under $400.

I'd still appreciate it if anyone wanted to add some more suggestions, or comment on Mr Alpha's. After looking at the specs for the parts you've posted, I'm fairly certain that I know what to look for when matching hardware, but further explanation can't hurt.

Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

The motherboard has integrated GeForce 6100 graphics. A FX5200 wouldn't really be an upgrade.

A thing worth mentioning is that both the motherboard and the PSU are MicroATX.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

I bought a BFG Technologies PC System 650 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply last year. Yeah, it's a bit pricey and 650 watts may be overkill for most PC's but I have never had a problem with it, my computer runs more smoothly and I couldn't be more saisfied with my purchase.

#6 Corbin1414

Corbin1414

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:55 PM

No advertising, but Memory Express in Canada has a terrific webpage to help with compatible products:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag..._1.php&SID=

Just pick components and it will eliminate what you cannot use. Start with processor, then work your way down.

I have built 3 machines like this, and have had zero compatibility problems :thumbsup:

#7 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

No advertising, but Memory Express in Canada has a terrific webpage to help with compatible products:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?Pag..._1.php&SID=

Just pick components and it will eliminate what you cannot use. Start with processor, then work your way down.

I have built 3 machines like this, and have had zero compatibility problems :thumbsup:

Awesome website, that's exactly what I needed. I know what most of the specs mean on the hardware, so I can pick out the ones I want, but I'm always unsure about the compatibility. Thanks for the link, it will definately come in handy.

Edited by .Prodigy., 28 February 2007 - 06:27 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users