Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Gone Horribly Wrong

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

It all started out on a cold winter's night.... :thumbsup:

I got an error as soon as my desktop appeared saying .NET Framework Initialization Error and something about requiring version 2 of Net Framework. No other info given. I closed it off and no other symptoms. However I found it very strange that this error was on the Administrator account as well as my wife's but NOT mine.

So, I did a Norton Ghost restore to last week (the entire HD)....I have used this in the past when I do something wrong or want to go back and it has always worked like a charm....not this time. :inlove:

When the restore was finished and I logged in, it said something about recovering part of the registry from a log file and that it was succesful. Strange, but OK. Now a whole bunch of my programs are crashing:

1) Spybot pops up with some corruption errors.
2) I cannot start Firefox. When I open it, I get a strange long message in a window for about 2 seconds, then what appears to be a command prompt window flash very briefly then nothing.
3) When I try and click on Add/Remove Program and select one for remove, the same Command prompt window flashes very briefly then nothing.
4) Same problem with regedit
5) I can use IE7 but when googling, McAfee Siteadvisor comes up with an error saying that a certain dll is not a valid windows image. I had several of these "Not a valid windows image" errors pop up as soon as I rebooted from the restore. Now this is the only one left.
6) CCleaner works fine. My Computer and Windows Explorer work fine. I can copy & paste files and can access any web page in IE only.

When accessing Windows Update, I only get to the Windows Update page, NOT the Microsoft Update page. It asks me to install the ActiveX, I say yes, and then the page hangs at "Checking to see if your...." I have both the ActiveX's installed for MU & WU in my Downloaded Program's folder.

When accessing certain menus of certain programs, I get no reponse.

Other than a repair install, what do you suggest I do?? Help! :flowers: :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:50 AM

Try doing the Norton Ghost restore again. It may be that some data got corrupted during the previous restore. These things happen.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:33 AM

The restore images are on a separate internal drive from the Windows drive. So, you are saying I may have had a bad image? I'll try restoring to a week before that.

I'll try it out tonight, thanks for your suggestion. :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:42 AM

I wasn't saying that you have a bad image, although that is a possibility. But what might have happened is that when you "copied" the image back onto your main drive there was corruption in the copy process. So just try doing the same restore again. If that doesn't work then try the restore from the week before. I hope this makes sense :thumbsup:
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

Tried to restore another Norton Ghost 10 image 2 weeks back and same problems. :cool:

Now, I cannot access most of my programs like my burning software, Firefox browser, even WindowsUpdate website is corrupt. I can access Control panel, but when I try to click on anything, nothing happens. Also, half of my icons aren't there, only the "Windows" icons. Even the colors are not right. The control panel window is all white, usually it's a deep blue. :inlove:

Ironically, I can still boot into Windows, copy files & folders from one media to another, my CD drives all work, but I cannot burn CD's since I cannot access the programs. Small utilities like CCleaner work, also some of my security apps are corrupted.

...and all kinds of "Bad image" errors - the following <filename>.dll is not a valid Windows image....

And EVERYTIME I'm on IE and browse a page, a "bad image" error relating to McAfee site advisor comes up. Once I OK out of it, it pops up again, and again, and again - sometimes 3 times, sometimes 20 before finally going away.

I have no idea why this happened. This started out with a very small isolated error that simply appeared in 2 of my 3 user accounts but it didn't affect anything. All I did was restore an image a few days ago and now this... :flowers: :thumbsup:

Here's what I did before all my problems started:

- wanted to try a program that need MS .NET Framework 2.0 (I only had 1.1 on my system).
- removed NET 1.1 thinking that I might as well get a newer version thinking it's new features were cumulative with the previous version.
- downloaded and installed NET 2.0 and the software program I wanted to try.
So far so good....

Then, I didn't want the program, so I deleted it and left Net 2 on the comp
I later realized that Norton Ghost 10 needs Net Frame 1.1, NOT 2.

So, I uninstalled NET 2 and downloaded and Reinstalled .NET Framework 1.1 with SP1 and all security updates.

I used JV16 Powertools to remove all traces of Net 2.0 from my comp using "Registry Finder" and removing references to NET 2.0. There was 1 reference of NET 2.0 to my ATI video card which I thought was harmless so I deleted it.

Then, the error occured just after my desktop appeared. Something like, "the program requires a version of Net Framework, 2.0xxx (x's are numbers)." It gave me no other info expect an OK button. You'd push OK and no other problems were reported.

Finally, I did a Ghost Image restore as I've done many times in the past when I "screw something up" and then this all happened. Now, I'm thinking that deleting that registry key may have caused the original Net Framework 2 error but was somehow carried through the restore and crapped up my whole system.

Sorry for the very long message, I'm hoping I gave enough info.

Is it possible, that I may have had bad sectors on the HD and I restored "over" the bad sectors resulting in all kinds of data loss? The symptoms seem to be BOTH Windows related (like Regedit and Control Panel not working) and Program related ("bad image" files, specific programs not working).

BTW - reinstalling the programs does not work.

What do you experts suggest? A repair install? Will that work? Or should I do another Ghost Restore, what are the odds of 2 bad images?

Thanks everyone, I would much rather not re-format and install clean. :trumpet:

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

Hmm. Just a couple thoughts here. Thought 1) What about using the regular system restore choosing a time a date just before you removed the Netframework 1.1? Thought 2) Could you try last known good working configuration?

Other general thoughts: If you decide to install the Netframework 2 again, keep the 1.1 on board to avoid the 'this software needs version __________ ' to work problems.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

OK, I did a repair install of XP. This helped with some of the problems. For example, I'm now able to run Chkdsk, System Restore and anything that comes with the "Windows Software". I can also access Windows Update so I can apply all patches released since SP2 in Oct. 2004....I have 94 updates to do, including IE7!! :flowers:

I've also run Chkdsk with the /f switch. It fixed a few errors but there were no bad sectors....so that rules out any HD problems.

But I'm still having major problems. To sum it up, my "Programs do not know how to communicate with Windows". When I click on an .exe for a program, a command prompt window pops up then disappears. Firefox has completely run amuk and I'm still getting a few "bad image" errors. Other programs pop-up error messages saying that certain services cannot start or files are corrupted. Some programs work fine.

I tried the next logical step of uninstalling and reinstalling the problem programs. The issue is I cannot uninstall a program! I've tried Add/Remove Programs and also directly opening the Uninstaller. No dice....just a flash of a command prompt window. Most of my shortcuts don't work either.

Also, and this is very strange, when I double click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop, a shortcut appeared. I double-clicked again and ANOTHER shortcut appeared. So I right-clicked on the original IE icon (not the shortcut) and there was no command to Open it. The only commands were: "Create shortcut", "Delete", "Rename" and "Properties". What happened to the "Open" command?? WTF? :trumpet:

There has to be a fix for this. Maybe a utility that someone knows of. If I phone Dell, there going to tell me to re-install cleanly. That is my LAST resort. Also, I don't want to do a System Restore as I'm afraid everything will get worse.

Here are my specs:
Dell Dimension 5150, 2GB RAM, Dell branded Motherboard (unsure of model#), Intel 845 Chipset Family, ATI Radeon 128MB PCI-xpress Video Card, Sigmatel High-Def Audio Codec Sound card.

OS is XP Professional SP2.

Help! :thumbsup:

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

So....where are the moderators, and experts? I really need some kind of guidance, or utilities to run to narrow down the problem. Please help...or do I have everyone completely stumped. :thumbsup:

Here's something else:
On some of the program's executables, it tries to open a command prompt. For example, if I go to the file "EXCEL.EXE" and click properties. It comes up thinking that it should open in an MS-DOS window. It's like this for a lot of my programs, especially the Uninstallers....so I can't even uninstall & re-install the program that doesn't work.....even in Safe Mode.

Here's another possible clue...
In my root directory, I have boot.ini.SAB file and a boot.ini.bak file but NO boot.ini file. I searched for it on my HD, it's not there, even when checking hidden files.

I've seen BC solve a lot of tough ones....are you up for the challenge on this one??? :flowers:

Members, thank you for all the ones that responded so far....but I need some hardcore help. Thanks.

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Problem is solved.....I re-formatted & installed clean; something I didn't want to do.

So only a few of you had any suggestions?! Honestly, I'm somewhat surprised & disappointed that I received very little help from this forum for such a major problem. :thumbsup:

But, I'll say, thanks to those that did offer their assistance.

I'm just curious, does anyone have any idea what the hell went wrong? My trust in restore software has gone out the window since this happened.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:42 AM

I don't get to the forums as often as I'd like to. And when I do get here I try to read all the new posts since my last visit. For example, it's 1:30 am here and I'm only 1/2 way done with them - and that's only a day or two's worth.

When they get too overwhelming I'm forced to skip the older posts - so if I show up a couple of days after you've posted, I won't see your posts. I'm sure that this happens with other members also.

Next is the complexity of your problem - there are just so darned many things that could be going wrong that it's hard to say exactly what it is.

If you reformatted and installed clean (and it works) then there was a problem with your images and the Repair Install. The most likely cause of this (IMO) is an undetected virus - and that it most likely had also infected your images. This could be true if the virus carried a countdown timer so that it only executed after a certain date (I had one of these and it's a real problem).

Also, there could have been multiple problems on the system - especially since the repair install fixed some things but not others. But then again, the "fixes" could have actually been repairing virus problems and just didn't get all traces of the virus.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:57 AM

It appears that somewhere in your problems, the .Net Framework was involved. Don't quote me, but I think you will find that you need 1.1 and 2 installed. If you have Vista then you will also need Vs 3. From what I have read, these are standalone programs and you not delete one when you upgrade. FWIW

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users