Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resetting My Router?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Smam

Smam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:44 PM

I need to view my wireless router settings but I dont know the password or username. It know it should be "admin" and "admin" but its not.

If I reset the router, (which resets the router settings), what kind of things might be affected? Anything that would really harm my internet?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 February 2007 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

What about "admin" and hitting just the "enter key" for password (meaning leave it blank)?

Resetting your router will change it back to "factory default" as if it just came out of the box brand new.

Be (Factory Default) Safe

Da Bleepin, AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:56 AM

I'm not sure if i should have created a new topic or not so i just posted in this one.

My dad has locked me out of the router and "claims" to have forgotton the password.

Is There any way to get the password without having to reset it?

#4 Smam

Smam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

Id actually like to knwo the exact same thing as above

Also, what kind of setting are inculuded in "router settings"? If I were to reset my router, what might change?

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

mictamcody2000, so sorry, but bleeping computer guidelines forbid answering questions where the sole purpose is to defeat existing security. In this case, your dad has it secured for whatever reason, and should he want to need to make any changes, I'm sure he can figure out how to recover the password. There is no way to recover the existing password.

Smam, there are any number of things that could be affected, or nothing at all; it cimpletely depends on whether or not anything has been changed from the default settings. If you have everything on default settings, then merely resetting the router shouldn't have any negative effects at all. Once powered up, it will acquire a new network address, and it will allot new internal IP numbers to all connected devices. IF you have prot forwarding on for any reason though, then those ports will have to be reconfigured.

Are you sure that you have the correct default password? What sort of router do you have?

#6 mictamcody2000

mictamcody2000

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

a few things

Words you spelled wrong: Completely, Allow, Port.

also, I have a Linksys 802.11b Router

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:47 PM

Gosh you're smart. Looks like you don't need my help at all.... or have any need for proper punctuation or capitalization.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users