Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsl Vs Cable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fu510N

fu510N

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

Okay, I have cable internet and it's super-fast, but the rates in my area are about to go up YET AGAIN! :flowers: I am considering switching to DSL, I can get it through AT&T and a good rate. The question is, what is the real difference speedwise? I have always had cable internet, so I want to know if cable is worth the money, or if I should make the switch to DSL. Any advice would be appreciated... :thumbsup:
Friends, help! A guinea-pig tricked me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:01 PM

A lot depends on how far you are from the serving "central office". The further you are away, the lower maximum speed possible. This factor does not apply to cable. Beware the proverbial DSL escape clause "Speeds up to XXMBs". No where are you guaranteed their advertised "claimed" up to speed. Over all cable has a better rate of speed than DSL. But do your research to your location and go from there. Lots of times threats to leave for DSL will get you a rate reduction for a set amount of time. No guarantees there either.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 fu510N

fu510N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

Thanks, I called my cable company and told them I was going to change, and they did reduce my rate!
Friends, help! A guinea-pig tricked me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users