Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re: Using Ad Aware...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:35 PM

...each time i did it and then shut down, turned back on and did it again, it says i still have the EXACT same amount of "baddies"

Why might this be happening?

MORE DETAIL

1. I am following instructions in "the guide", cleaned my temp files etc.

2. I already have Ad-aware and Spybot, so i have started with Ad-aware as the guide suggests. I did it 3 times, shutting down imbetween each effort.

3. I have followed ALL instructions although i did have one problem and one quandery, which i solved, although my solution may not have been correct and therefore affected the result...

problem

when the 1st one finished, i did not know how to quarentine and thought i might be offered it as an option if i clicked on "next". I WAS WRONG and my first scan disapeared, after that i just clicked on the "log book" or whatever it was called next to "next" and then clicked on one of the file views that had the selecting all the "problems" boxes, selected them all, right clicked and deleted.

Did i delete these files correctly?

quandery

The guides instructions were slightly different from the Ad-aware user manual that i went to through a link in the guide. In the guide it simply said to do the scan and "eliminate" what was found. In the Ad-aware manual it said to quarentine the files for a little while incase theyyyy, i cant remember, self destruct or something like that he he. At the time i figured that i should just follow "the guide" because it is more case specific. so, my quanderys are:

Was i correct not to leave them in quarentene and delete straight away like "guide" suggested but unlike the Ad-aware user manual? or should i have just left the "baddies" in quarentine for a few days?

Could this be the reason why when i do the scan again it brings up the same result?

If the answer is no, then...

Did i delete these files correctly? (if not then how do i do this?)

Here are the links for both "the guide" and the Ad-aware manual, just incase you need them for reference to save you from having to move about :flowers:

The guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
The Ad-aware manual: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-ad-aware-2007-to-remove-spyware/

Thanks for stopping by :thumbsup: NICE ONE!!! nn23 :trumpet:

Edited by nn23, 27 February 2007 - 10:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

Did you try running it in Safe Mode?

Also, keeping the files in quarantine won't hurt. You can always delete them later. As for why the files keep reappearing, chances are there is something else repopulating those files. Just keep on with the guide, and do what you can. Please keep note of what worked and didn't work so you can include that information in your HiJack This post.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

Under normal circumstances, it is often wise to leave the instances found in the quarantine file for a few days. For example, sometimes a "bad" cookie is needed to access or navigate a site that you trust or use; you can then restore the cookie from the quarantine file.

I would follow the Tutorial, beginning with Step 4---paying particular attention to setting up the scan parameters--- and ending with Step 5. Theoretically, instances in quarantine should not show up if you repeat the Ad-AwareSE scan, but to be sure, you can select the file in quarantine and then hit the delete box at the bottom of the screen. THEN, if you scan again, the same instances should not show up (assuming you do nothing to re-infect the hard drive).

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:27 PM

CHEERS jgweed :flowers:

Does that mean that in my first problem i may have deleted wrong? is there a delete thing at the bottom of the Ad-aware box?

Dont worry about answering this i shall just take a look and see tomorrow but also...

Which 4 and 5 did you mean? "the guide"? or the Ad-aware instruction manual?

I followed step 4 quite acurately i felt, crossing the "search for negligable risk" option and having it conduct a "full system scan".

Can i move onto the spybot one while the other stuff is still in quarentine?

And i'll try it in safe mode too :inlove:

Thanking you both MUCHLY for the advice and attention :thumbsup: nn23

P.S actually, ever since i've had Ad-aware its always done the same thing each time i've run a scan, telling me i've got 35 "baddies". I dont think its ever said any different? hmmm, i'll just do what i can and moyder you all about it tomorrow :trumpet: BYE

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Steps 4 and 5 were listed in the BC Tutorial for Ad-AwareSE.

I would suggest you delete the quarantined items before running Spybot.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:36 PM

THANKY THANKYYYYY jgweedPosted Image
NICE ONE! :thumbsup: nn23

#7 ls_daniel

ls_daniel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:53 AM

Hello

If you still can not get rid of the objects if would be interesting to get a readout of what your scan finds, after a scan please click on the button "show log file" and copy the text in it and post back here.

Kind regards

Daniel, Lavasoft

#8 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

Hi Daniel :flowers: , thanks for the attention and here you go, this is was after the 3rd scan and deletion (after quarentine) in this one, there are 39 results rather than 35, so it went up...

ArchiveData(20307.bckp)
Referencefile : SE1R155 26.02.2007
======================================================

TRACKING COOKIE

obj[0]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@bs.serving-sys.com/
obj[1]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@marksandspencer.122.2o7.net/
obj[2]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@as-eu.falkag.net/
obj[3]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@questionmarket.com/
obj[4]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@ad1.emediate.dk/
obj[5]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@ad.adserverplus.com/
obj[6]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@realmedia.com/
obj[7]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@adserver.easyad.info/
obj[8]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@tacoda.net/
obj[9]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@bluestreak.com/
obj[10]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@tribalfusion.com/
obj[11]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@e-2dj6wfloqlcjsbp.stats.esomniture.com/
obj[12]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@netli.media.adrevolver.com/adrevolver/
obj[13]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@statcounter.com/
obj[14]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@paypal.112.2o7.net/
obj[15]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@fastclick.net/
obj[16]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@adtech.de/
obj[17]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@ads.addynamix.com/
obj[18]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@indexstats.com/
obj[19]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@content.ipro.com/
obj[20]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@revsci.net/
obj[21]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@msnportal.112.2o7.net/
obj[22]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@adbrite.com/
obj[23]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@metacafe.122.2o7.net/
obj[24]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@adopt.euroclick.com/
obj[25]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@media.adrevolver.com/adrevolver/
obj[26]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@adrevolver.com/
obj[27]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@trafficmp.com/
obj[28]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@casalemedia.com/
obj[29]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@tradedoubler.com/
obj[30]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@overture.com/
obj[31]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@bizrate.com/
obj[32]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@ad.yieldmanager.com/
obj[33]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@reduxads.valuead.com/
obj[34]=IECache Entry : Cookie:nell abramczuk@serving-sys.com/
obj[35]=IECache Entry : C:\Documents and Settings\Nell Abramczuk\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\nell abramczuk@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
obj[36]=IECache Entry : C:\Documents and Settings\Nell Abramczuk\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\nell abramczuk@adopt.euroclick[1].txt
obj[37]=IECache Entry : C:\Documents and Settings\Nell Abramczuk\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\nell abramczuk@e-2dj6wfl4kncpmeo.stats.esomniture[2].txt
obj[38]=IECache Entry : C:\Documents and Settings\Nell Abramczuk\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\nell abramczuk@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt

Thats them, again tahnks very much for the attention :trumpet: , I'll be scanning forever at this rate so i'm just gona go to the next step and do the spybot m hm.

NICE ONE!! CHEERS!! :thumbsup: nn23

#9 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

Under normal circumstances, it is often wise to leave the instances found in the quarantine file for a few days. For example, sometimes a "bad" cookie is needed to access or navigate a site that you trust or use; you can then restore the cookie from the quarantine file.

I would follow the Tutorial, beginning with Step 4---paying particular attention to setting up the scan parameters--- and ending with Step 5. Theoretically, instances in quarantine should not show up if you repeat the Ad-AwareSE scan, but to be sure, you can select the file in quarantine and then hit the delete box at the bottom of the screen. THEN, if you scan again, the same instances should not show up (assuming you do nothing to re-infect the hard drive).

Regards,
John

Hi, I'm having problems matching the options that the tutorial advises me to choose and the options that are displayed in my Ad-aware...

Been tryin to do print screen or send picture but am too stOOpid at the moment so i shall just describe...The first thing i am advised to do by the tutorial is selct "general" on the left hand side...now this already causes problems because there IS no option saying general :flowers: . There are just symbols around the edges which i understand on a basic level, when you hover over them they give a description of what they do using technical terms i do not understand but with no refernce to "general".

This highlights how i am unable to apply the tutorial, if i have done something wrong have you any ideas as to where i should go or what i should do in order to be able to view these options?

Thanks for stopping by :thumbsup: nn23 :trumpet:

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:55 AM

First click on the Configuration button at the top of the window, designated by the blue box in Figure 1 that looks like a gear. You will now be presented with a new screen with various options to set.

After doing this, you will see the General, Scanning, Advanced, Startup, Defaults, Interface, and Tweak buttons.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:06 AM

THANKING YOU MUCHLY tg1911,

I must of missed that, i shall read more carefully next time, thats BRILLIANT!!! :thumbsup:

NICE ONE!! :flowers: nn23

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 02:05 AM

You're welcome, nn23.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users