Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card For Old Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

I have an old computer that I would like to be able to watch videos on. All its currently used for is browsing the internet and instant messaging. When I try to watch videos on the internet now (using cable internet so they buffer/download fine) the movies are very glitchy, basically unwatchable. Even coming here on BC the smileys are messed up. So, I am looking for a graphics card that is under 30$, that could make it possible for me to watch movies. By the way, I only have PCI slots. I was looking at this: ATI Rage 128 Pro . I figured this would work out so I could watch videos fine.

Also, I know this is a bit off topic, but could I put a cd burner on my computer even though its running windows 98? I forget exactly what version of windows 98, but it says 4.10.1998. Thanks!

Computer specs:
IBM Aptiva running windows 98

AMD K6-2 processor, 333mhz, 64KB L2cache

192mb pc100 ram

6gb hard drive with about 3.5gb free

8mb integrated graphics <---ewwy
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

That card should work fine for you Sterling14 :flowers:

As for the cd burner, yes, you can put one in that computer. I'd buy a name brand one so that if win98 won't install it automatically, then you can easily find drivers/firmware for it at the manufacturers site.

Hope this helps! :trumpet:

BTW, you've got to try to keep that hard drive fairly clean.....if it gets to full it'll start having "issues" (rule of thumb is to never have a hard drive reach 3/4 full!) :thumbsup: Be sure to defrag it often too!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

I have a dell, so naturally i'm in the same boat as you, I found that the FX5500 nvidia works very well, and easily overclocked.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users