Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xfer Data From Old Hd To New Hd In Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acadprogrmr

acadprogrmr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

Requirements are:
Transfer old data from HD to New HD in new computer. System Boots to new HD with old HD as slave. Operating system preferred is XP.

Known Problems:
Compaq put a whamo on my plan to just transfer the image of one HD to the other when I learned each HD on Compaq computers (correct me if I am wrong) is partitioned, has min 2 drives, one containing critical information such as CMOS settings.

New Compaq PC has one ribbon cable with the CDROM/DVD r+w as master and the "C" drive (if you will) as a slave. When I add the old HD to the ribbon cable and set old as master the PC will not boot from this old drive. Also set the CMOS to show old HD as first preference under Hard drives.

Ok. Whats the question? How do I move the old data, and old OS, to partition C of the new hard drive...and still have a PC that boots.....and retain all data (that is only copy).

I have tried many approaches, too many to list...I do not want to lead you by the ear either....so, please let me know If I have left anything out...Thank you for using your time to help me.. ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but if you're trying to boot off of the old OS, then you might very well be outta luck. I had an HP computer, and pulled the hdd out and installed it in a custom built machine and tried to boot...it gave an error that the version of windows was only for a specific HP computer and wouldn't work on any other machine. Go figure. Also, the partition was locked from the manufacturer, and I had to use a 3rd party program to wipe the drive clean before I could even use the drive.

I was trying to do the same thing that you're trying, and ended up using a different (new) copy of windows and then transferring data via an external USB hdd. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 acadprogrmr

acadprogrmr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

Thanks Almighty!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help. I may very well give this PC back...I certainly do not have the time.

Catcha' later - thanks again
Acad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users