Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inaccessible Boot Device On Windows 4.0 Nt Workstation.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chicagochad2000

chicagochad2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:48 PM

I have a computer with Windows 4.0 NT workstation and the other day I went to Microsoft.com and downloaded a "critical update" and when I restarted the machine I had the "blue screen of death" with the inaccessible boot device message.

I am not very computer savy but did try making a boot disk but that didn't work. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

If you can make the boot disk, and boot to it (make sure your boot sequence is set up in the BIOS to allow floppy first, then CDROM, then HDD) and when you reach the command prompt, type CHKDSK and that will check you disk for errors and correct them. This should get you back into windows. It could help a lot if you could also post the Stop code you recieve (IE: 0x00000008e)

Gavin Seabrook

#3 chicagochad2000

chicagochad2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:18 AM

I could never get the boot disk to work on this. The stop code is 0x0000007B(0xF1C13BF0,0xc00000034,0x00000000,0x00000000). I really havent tried much the last couple of weeks but would like to attempt to fix this again. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chad

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

You receive a "Stop 0x0000007B" error message when you try to start your computer after you move the dynamic hard disk
When you start your Windows 2000-based computer, you receive the following Stop error message:
STOP: 0x0000007b (0xf881b84c,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

0xc00000034 STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND
Cause
This error message may occur if the primary disk group identity of the hard disk does not match the primary disk group identity that is stored in the registry. This mismatch may occur if all the following conditions are true: You configure the hard disk that contains the system partition as a dynamic disk on a computer that is running Windows 2000.
You remove the hard disk from the computer, and then install the hard disk in a second Windows 2000-based computer.
You import the hard disk to a disk group that contains dynamic disks on the second Windows 2000-based computer.
You return the hard disk from the second computer to the first computer.

Resolution
To resolve this problem, use Registry Editor to delete the Primary Disk Group registry key from the registry of the computer that does not start. To delete this key, follow these steps.

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.1. Remove the hard disk that contains the system partition from the computer that does not start, install the hard disk in the second computer, and then start the second computer.
2. On the second computer, click Start, click Run, type regedt32 in the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then on the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
4. Locate, and then click the System file that contains the hive of the first computer's operating system.

Note The System file is in the Drive:\Winnt\System32\Config folder, where Drive is the drive letter of the hard disk that is from the first computer.
5. Click Open, type Temp in the Key Name box, and then click OK.
6. Double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then double-click Temp.
7. Double-click ControlSet00n, where n is the number of the control set.
8. Double-click Services, double-click dmio, and then click Boot Info.
9. Right-click the Primary Disk Group registry key, and then click Delete.
10. Repeat steps 7 through 9 for each instance of ControlSet00n that appears in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Temp subkey.
11. Click Temp, and then on the Registry menu, click Unload Hive, and then click Yes.
12. Quit Registry Editor.
13. Shut down the second computer, and then remove the hard disk that is from the first computer.
14. Reinstall the hard disk in the first computer, and then start the first computer.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users