Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Sonic Error: Missing Rneng.msi

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

Sonic Record Now was preinstalled on my computer - a Dell Dimension 2400 - and I have never used it so I wish to uninstall it, especially since I would like to use a different software program to burn data-disks.

So, when I initially went to uninstall it, it said that I had to first uninstall the Sonic DLA. Okay, I did that. Now when I try to uninstall it I get these messages:

"A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\RNENG.MSI"

Then I get "A fatal error occurred during installation".

Allright, I have the reinstallation disk for Sonic Record Now. So, I clicked on Change by Sonic Record Now in Add/Remove Programs and navigated to Repair. I inserted the Reinstallation disk and directed it to fix the program from the disk. No go. I subsequently did a search for RNENG.MSI on the disk and it wasn't there, nor is it on my hard drive. I cannot seem to find this file on the internet either.

Which leads me to my question: How am I going to get the bugger off my computer? I'm assuming the hard way, but how? I also have the Sonic Update Manager to get rid of also.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hi Orange Blossom,

Remember helping me out with a Sonic issue in This Thread?
Even tho your situation is a bit different, I wonder if the Dell "Fix" would be worth a try.

Have you tried Safe Mode?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Aye. I had just reread it, as well as a few other topics on uninstalling Sonic. Two problems with that fix: 1) I have an older version which is 6.5.3 and 2) the missing file problem the Dell fix takes care of is a totally different file and not related the one I'm missing which is apparently the installation engine itself. As this is what is used to uninstall it, it cannot uninstall. Why on earth the installation engine file would be missing on the installation disk is beyond me. I also cannot simply install it from the CD on top of what I already have. I get an already installed message. Grrr.

I did try uninstalling in Safe Mode, but trying to uninstall using Add/Remove in Safe Mode for me always ends up with a message that I can't do it because a) I am running in safe mode or B ) the installation file is missing, so back to square 1. Whether this is because I have Home edition rather than Pro, I don't know. Maybe there's a gremlin aboard, or maybe it has to do with the snake net (asp.net), and a snake got out of the net and is causing mischief :flowers: .

I think I'm stuck with removing it the hard way, but I really don't want to do that without direction.

Oh, and when I try to go to support at sonic.com I get a blank dark gray screen. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :trumpet:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 February 2007 - 11:06 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Hhmm...

How about using Windows Search engine in Safe Mode to find all the Sonic Files and then try to delete them?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:56 AM

I'm thinking that would be more or less the first step in the hard way of uninstalling it. The files are mostly in program files, and some in common files. The awkward part is the registry, as all the registry keys would still be there telling the comp. that the program is still installed. What kinds of problems would then ensue, I don't know. I do know that I blocked some Sonic keys from running at start-up through third party software.

Ugh. I think you can see why I'd want some clear step-by-step directions of just how to do a manual, hard way uninstall of this bugger. Why, oh why, is that installer absent even on the installation disk?

Orange Blossom

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:15 AM

Want to manually remove programs from XP?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:26 AM

Thanks for that link Budapest. :thumbsup: That provides me with one additional uninstallation method, since it does appear as though the Sonic installer is a type of windows installer, before resorting to a manual uninstallation for which it provides very clear directions.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I probably won't be playing with it until this weekend.

Orange Blosssom :flowers:

Orange Blossom

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:15 AM

Why not try the following :

Download Windows Installer Clean-Up after reading this article.

Remove all entries in the add/remove programs in respects to Sonic

Download install and update Ccleaner
After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

This will remove all remnants from Sonic in the registry which is causing the problem

Back up your registry PLease look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:40 AM

Hi fozzie:

The PCanswers article also provided a link to the same windows installer fix. I'd already decided to try that and then uninstall the bugger from Add/Remove programs and see if that does the trick. I sure hope it does.

Already have CCleaner and figured I'd use it to help me find some of the errant sonic registry keys when I get to that point. I always examine each key before deciding to 'fix' them, and I also provide a back-up of the deleted keys clearly identified so I know what program they're supposed to be associated with. I have a folder called "registry back-ups" on my desk-top full of them. I'll have to go through and thin down the herd again.

The other fun part will be going through my third party software that has blocked some of the sonic start-up entries so they will be removed properly.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users