Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Settings....help?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

I had to replace my computer tower and the computer I have now has Windows Vista. I used to run the GRC firewall test on the other computer and it always passed. I used the firewall on Nortons Internet Security 2007 along with the built-in firewall in my AT&T SBC DSL 2Wire Modem. I started the new computer and ran the test and it failed or was penetrated. The Norton shows that it is activated and the 2Wire Modem's firewall is activated. Are there any settings that need to be changed to get the system to pass? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

What are the settings now, besides 'activated'? Knowing this, the folks here that use routers and VISTA will be able to better help you.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'll look and get the info. Do you know if there are any other places to test firewalls. On the GRC site the option of "allow or not allow" site to enter never showed up. I never got to answer "no" , don't allow. I did the other tests that test the ports, I think it's the Shields Up, and the computer passed as "passed".
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

Here are the settings:
NIS 2007 firewall: activated
Ask me what to do(checked)
Automatically customize Internet access settings for common programs(unchecked)

2Wire Modem(AT&T, SBC DSL)
Maximum protection- diallow unsolicited inbound traffic.(checked).
Outbound (below are checked)
HTTP
HTTPS
FTP
Telenet
SMTP
DNS
Net BIOS
POP3
IMAP
NNTP
IRC
H323
All other protocols
Inbound(checked)
Remote management
not checked is Net BIOS

I hope this helps....thanks.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

you can run 2 tests from the Comodo site

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/onl...&country=US

How ya been socom

Edited by boopme, 27 February 2007 - 09:02 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thanks boopme. I'll take a look. Been doing fine....how about you? BTW, I got an XBOX 360.

I just ran the test. I guess it worked. Windows Protection said some program was trying to access and did not allow. Nothing happened, nothing popped up. I'm not really for sure if it worked.

Edited by socom 004, 27 February 2007 - 09:19 PM.

#7 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

OK, I ran GRC Leak Test and it passed 2 out of 2 times. I found out what I was doing wrong. I didn't have to change any settings. Sorry for the bother but I appreciate the replies. Thanks....socom.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:38 PM

Great.... you're welcome

I'm Good... busy day with the NY markets today .. enjoy the Xbox
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users