Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Virus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 karajean

karajean

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

I just got a new computer a week ago. Now it says that i have a renos virus and i cant do anything with my computer. How do i get rid of this?i have ran norton virus and it doesnt show anything wrong with it. Please help. Anything to help me get this off my brand new computer!!!Thanks Alot

Edited by karajean, 27 February 2007 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

I just got a new computer a week ago. Now it says that i have a renos virus and i cant do anything with my computer.

Who or what says you have a renos virus?

If its Norton then get a virus checker that works. :huh:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 karajean

karajean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

Well my windows system says that it has dected the renos virus, when i run my virus protection scans nothing shows up. but it is there. i cant get on the internet now. and i cant get it off. please if you have step-by step soultion PLEASE let me know. Thnaks for your help.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:18 AM

http://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/renos.shtml
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Victorvl

Victorvl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hi all,
I think I've been having this Renos virus for a month or two, but it hasn't been that harmful yet: I got this security message once, and naturally, i clicked it. Then, after having downloaded the advised security program, I encountered about 6 viruses and trojans, all of them classified by my Norman antivirus as being extremely dangerous. I had a second message coming continually but naturally I didn't click it. After a few hours I managed to delete both them and the security executable file. A week later I had a second message coming continually but naturally I didn't click it. After that I didn't have any more trouble, until today my windows popped up with a warning that my computer was infected with Renos. After the stories I've read all over the net, especially on the microsoft site, I decided I want to get this over with while my PC still boots and runs. I checked the link submitted by usasma, but it's useless if you don't have F-secure. Does anyone know a solution that's available to everyone?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Victor van Luyk

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 02:55 PM

Renos virus is a variant of SmitFraud family .... Go into the HijackThis Logs and Analysis, read the pinned topics at the top.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Download HijackThis! Do a system scan and save a logfile. The logfile text will be on notepad. Start a new topic in HijackThis Logs and Analysis.

Edited by Jacee, 26 August 2007 - 02:57 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Then, after having downloaded the advised security program, I encountered about 6 viruses and trojans, all of them classified by my Norman antivirus as being extremely dangerous.

This concerns me the most. What "security message" did you get? If it was something along the lines of "Your computer may have viruses - download THIS", and you did, then that may be the cause of the viruses in the first place.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

Glunn11, you're right, but it really doesn't matter....even if a victim tries to click out of the popup....they still get infected.

We have some really nasty people on the internet (who own and host sites), that think playing with a website to cause this infection is there ticket to wealth.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:33 AM

Yeah it sounded like a variant of SmitFraud to me, when I read this. You'll find a Great guide to how to remove it here. It has worked for me many times.

They get the virus in your system and claim they can take them off with a little software, you have to pay of course. I've even heard peeps getting infected just by reading the disclamer, not accepting it. (urban legend maybe)

It's a sad way to sell, but sadly it works...

You came to the right place for the solution though.

:huh:

Mav

#10 Victorvl

Victorvl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:04 PM

Then, after having downloaded the advised security program, I encountered about 6 viruses and trojans, all of them classified by my Norman antivirus as being extremely dangerous.

This concerns me the most. What "security message" did you get? If it was something along the lines of "Your computer may have viruses - download THIS", and you did, then that may be the cause of the viruses in the first place.

Yeah, i got that message.
No, my norman said they were inside the setup program, so it wasn't the message. At least not the first time. The second time, I didn't click any part of the message. luckily my pc still works... I don't understand the people who do this kind of thing. and I admire all you guys helping people out for free!!

Edited by Victorvl, 01 September 2007 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users