Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chally169

chally169

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:02 PM

Hi,
I've recently installed a dvd rewriter(Pioneer 108) and also installed Pinnacle studio 9 firewire kit.
having installed the dvd-rw i thought it would be a good idea to make my own dvd.
I took a full 50 mins of film on christmas day and captured it to my pc then edited it and then clicked the make disc button, it started Rendering file and then just froze.
The only thing i could do was to turn the pc offat the wall or press and hold the on/off button for approx 6 sec.
This fault also happend with nero 6, what i also did was to open task manager and watch what was happening, My cpu graph/usage would rocket to 100% and then freeze.
I then thought that it might be the amount of CRAP on my pc ie my music,my photos,my pictures and all other stuff that would clog up my pc.
So i backed up all that i needed to keep and then rebooted from my XP disc and ended up with a fresh install(great).
i then installed all software again and tried to make a dvd again!
and what happened? THE BLOODY THING CRASHED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Can sombody please help me? Please!
Cheers Ian

Edited by chally169, 06 January 2005 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:45 PM

Are you absolutely positive that the computer is frozen or is it doing so much that it appears that way? When this happens is your hard drive light churning really fast? If so you may be doing heavy hard disk actiivity which could cause the appearance of a hang

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 04:17 AM

I do a lot of mpeg encoding and if diskeeper starts trying to defrag my hdd whilst encoding the PC freezes but it still continues to encode the mpg. Just leave your PC running and see if it completes the task it's doing. As you didn't say what your system specs are I can't say for how long, but for a comparision my PC's CPU is a 2800 Athlon and 1gb 3200 memory and takes about 45min to render approx 4.5gb DVD.

#4 chally169

chally169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:17 PM

No I don't think so cause when it hangs i cant even open task manager or anything and i also have left it over night and the thing is still in the same posision in the morning.
My system is basically this:
AMD Athlon 2000+
256 MB of RAM
Windows XP Home edition
Service pack 2
ACPI Uniprosessor PC
Maxtor 60 gig hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE
VIA AC'97 Audio controller

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:37 PM

256 MB of RAM is the bare minimum to run XP, much less any other apps.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 chally169

chally169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:13 PM

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Guys, just thought i'd reply to your good selves and explain my findings.
Started by doing all the usual things like you would normally do like posting a topic on this forum for starters1
then i had a closer inspection inspection inside my tower unit and checked out the motherboard and found that the surrounding capacitors around the processor had burst! when i say burst i mean that the top of cap was oozing this kind of brown goo later found to be electrolyte. I then searched the net for this problem and found that during the year 2000 - 2003 there had been a huge problem with the quality of caps(search the net for yourselves and read the conspiracy). so i purchased a pack of five caps out of the RS Components catalog and replaced them. and ever since then i have not had a single problem.
Just thought i'd share this with you folks!!!!!!

p.s also if any of you have this problem do your research and look for a site that tells you how to replace the capacitors. I did and it helped loads, I would post the web site but i cant remember it!
cheers
Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users